South African TR3a 's exported complete.

Hi , have any of you knowledgable people out there any idea if, as I have been told, TR3a were exported to South Africa complete not CKD and if so is there a list of commission numbers anywhere? Cheers Chris.

It's nearly 40 years ago that I did some research on South African TRs, courtesy of a motor sport colleague at the time - his father had worked for MA during the 50s and early 60s, leaving when Toyota bought out MA as he objected to working for the Japanese - WW2 legacy, former pow, need I say more. The family still lived in Durban.

The local regulations that obtained during the years of TR assembly required a proportion of locally sourced content, and that proportion increased as the years went by, so a wide variety of parts were produced in South Africa. The CKD kits despatched from Canley were, of course, incomplete - to reflect the required local input. I gained the impression that many cars were specifically built to customer order, and hence might well have been fitted with earlier or later Stanparts than those included in the original individual CKD kit, or with alternative SA-produced component.

In the absence of any sort of comprehensive production record, I can't see that anyone can be definitive about what might or might not have been original in terms of Durban assembled MA cars . . . . TRs or any other model assembled at MA. I did compare notes at the time with an MGA historian, who had similar impressions, gained from quite different ex-MA sources.

My understanding back then was that complete cars imported to SA incurred a substantial import duty, except for some categories of expatriate residents who enjoyed a privileged status in terms of car import for personal use. Used cars were apparently not that easy to import either, although these carried a lower rate of duty or tax than new imports.

No doubt at least some complete TRs were imported, new and used cars, but I'd suggest these were more likely to be personal imports than connected with Motor Assemblies, and pretty modest numbers at that.

Cheers,

Alec

Lots of great classics in SA. The exchange rate makes them very attractive and some unique survivors/models there too.

Pretty easy to import to UK. Shipping cost around £3000. Duty free as they are of "historical significance". Just VAT to pay.

I imported a classic about 3 years ago (not Triumph).

My parents still live in Cape Town and are active classic car enthusiasts.