Engine bay turrets

Looking at the pictures of the engine bay of the resurrection shuffle has reminded me of a question I have been meaning to ask for years. On my late '67 4a the turrets attached to the inner wings that should have the horns on top are missing. Years ago somebody remarked that he thought the inner wings on my car were TR5. Would this have been possible at build because I do not think it has been front ended and had both inner wings replaced.??

Any thoughts out there??

Simon

Interesting to read your comment. I have a January `67 4A with the same layout. Obtained in `93 when a total strip down was carried out, the offside wing was extremely rotten around the nose area and appeared never to have been off the chassis since manufacture. Also the inner wheel arch has the indent to accommodate the TR5 air-box. Other variations were that the rear valance behind the bumper had the reverse light holes of the 5 blanked off, but was so rotten in `93 it required cutting out. And the chassis mounting holes which were added for the 5 to accept extra chassis brackets on the rear bridge are present. I have assumed that within the first couple of years of manufacture the car suffered a big smash which justified a body replacement and rebuild with the original equipment. (labour was not so expensive then and declaring a "write off" would not be so acceptable) By then only 5 bodies would be available. The chassis was exactly as original 4A although with a few damage kinks and very rotten.

Best of luck with your research,

John

I have seen a very late TR4a shell or what was left of it with TR5 inner panels including the reversing lights and pump filter bracket.I thought at the time perhaps it had a rear ender but now I am not so sure reading the above. I did not buy it as the owner described it in glowing terms of which it clearly was not.Why do they do it? No consideration of how far you have travelled and the expense of getting there.

I guess perhaps the factory just used what was on the production line to repair TR4a when it was out of production.

Merry Christmas.

Regards Harry

My offside inner wing definitely has the indent so presumably is TR5. Is it a possibility that during the 67 production of the TR4a they simply used what was available and I assume they had tooled up for the 5 by then.

My horns are attached to the front cross member. Would be interesting to find out where they fitted them on the 5

Cheers

Simon

Edited by PYU940F

Hi Simon,

I don;t think it is as simple as that.

My 4A is July 67 and has what would be standard inner wing/wheel arches

On an earlier car these were quite bulbous with an absence of turret.

So where did they come from, mid-way production of the 4A or anything to do with late TR4 !! who knows,

Roger

Just to add to the confusion my 65 4A which has had repairs (due to rust?) to both front inner wings at the front bottoms has the horn turret on the LH wing only and the dished area for injection on the right.

Chris

You will often find TR5 panels on 4a`s due to the non availability of 4a panels towards the end of their production run and dont forget the 5 was being developed through 66 ready for launch in 67 so panels for them would be what was available, so any panel repairs would be done using 5 panels by 67

Stuart.

My horns are attached to the front cross member. Would be interesting to find out where they fitted them on the 5

Cheers

Simon

On the bumper irons

Stuart.