Starting a tr6 that has been stood for 2 years.

Hello All,

I have recently inherited a family members Triumph Tr6, which has been stood in a dry garage for 2 years. It was last turned over roughly 6 months ago. Does anyone have any tips or can they give me any advice as to what to look over, or be wary of when I get around to trying to get this car back on the road around xmas time. I am aware that I'm going to need to buy a new battery and check over the brakes etc. I am only 21 so have never had to get a car back on the road again, but am an engineer by profession, so I have a basic knowledge of cars/systems.

Thanks!!!

Hello All,

I have recently inherited a family members Triumph Tr6, which has been stood in a dry garage for 2 years. It was last turned over roughly 6 months ago. Does anyone have any tips or can they give me any advice as to what to look over, or be wary of when I get around to trying to get this car back on the road around xmas time. I am aware that I'm going to need to buy a new battery and check over the brakes etc. I am only 21 so have never had to get a car back on the road again, but am an engineer by profession, so I have a basic knowledge of cars/systems.

Thanks!!!

Hi Tim! Where are you in the country?

Bruce.

Hi Tim,

Welcome the the forum...and we hope TRR membership - there is youth group.

I would remove plugs, a squirt of oil in each cylinder, the turn engine by hand to check its free. replace plugs.

Add a couple of gallons fresh petrol.

Give it a whirl on starter assuming you have checked it has oil.water etc. Check there's no fuel dripping from metering unit.

If you are lucky it will fire up on most cylnders. One or more injectors may not be spraying - see current thread on how to check these.

If you are unlucky a damp garage can rust the driven plate whcih sticks to the flywheel and you will not be able to get a gear with engine running.

Once it runs give it a good service - brakes etc- and get it MoTd annually to be safe.

Lots of help on here too.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Unless my car was unusual, when you go to drain the tank you will find that much of the fuel ends up in the wheel well. There is a rubber bung in there to let it out. Old fuel is no good for engines, but still burns well,

One tip, Change the brake and clutch fluid. They absorb moisture and will corrode the brake internals and cause seal failure. Just bleed it out at each corner until it runs fresh.

Ivor