Spare wheel

An odd thing... I'm in the fortunate position of not having yet needed to use the spare, but whilst cleaning out the boot recently, I noticed that the spare wheel is not the same as the four road wheels - different offset and three spikes on the dish.

The tyre is an old 185/15, so it can't be a PO's idea of a space-saver... any ideas what the origin might be? I haven't checked whether the offset will cause a collision on the front wheels yet.

post-12218-0-44011300-1508585571_thumb.jpg

Paul

The tyre is an old 185/15, so it can't be a PO's idea of a space-saver...

Paul

I'm afraid you are likely to be wrong Paul. There are some owners who will use ANY wheel or tyre combination no matter what the possible consequences could be.

Bottom line using ANY different size and wheel other than those fitted is illegal and will allow your insurer to walk away and the police to prosecute. (In the U.K. Anyway).

We have the normal internet myths ( notice how they never suggest ANYTHING which causes you to spend money or put yourself out) and owner objections but it's the law ( here anyway).

Mick Richards

Looks like a 1968-'69 TR wheel. They were designed to take the ROstyle wheel covers. Fewer disc holes & the three pins identify the '68-'69 wheel.

Should fit on your hubs/lugs with no issues. Do a trial fit to ease your concern.

The Coker Classic tyre was created to replace the Michelin Redline, when Michelin stopped manufacturing them.

Check the date code on the sidewall, should be fine as an emergency spare, just keep required amount of air in it.

Edited by Sapphire72

That's not a Rostyle wheel, the fixing pins are not appropriate, they're for traditional hubcaps - more likely a 4/4A rim . . . ..

Cheers

Alec

I believe you, Alec.

Still, try to fit it on the wheel lugs, it may/may not work okay. It's an easy way to find out.

Cheers,

Walt

Edited by Sapphire72

Thanks, Derek.

Here's a photo of a '72 TR6 wheel with a number on it.

If your wheel does not fit on the lugs AND fit properly against the hub, it will do no good for your TR.

Try it for fitment!

Cheers,

Walt

post-13442-0-80273800-1508606196_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the thoughts, chaps.

Mick, illegal here as well and, in any case, not a risk I'd take. I'm lucky that I've not needed it so far. Whilst I search for something suitable here, I'll equip myself with some temporary puncture repair foam.

I've now measured the wheel more accurately and the offset is approximately +15mm in comparison to a TR6 wheel, so it would fit the rear, but on the front it would foul the upper wishbone. There are no stamps on it, but since it is the spitting image of this:

post-12218-0-49165400-1508680074_thumb.jpg

... I'm assuming that it's from a TR3

Cheers

Paul

it would fit the rear, but on the front it would foul the upper wishbone.

That is good that you figured out what you have, Paul.

If you got a puncture in the front, you could move a good rear wheel & tyre to the front, and then use that TR3 wheel in the rear.

All would not be lost; and, you don't need yucky repair foam.

It should be pretty easy to find a TR6 spare wheel. Anybody selling used TR spares could supply you for low cost.

Cheers,

Walt

Edited by Sapphire72