Are sumps all the same?

Question for the knowledgeable. Are all 4 pot standard tin sumps the same? I would assume so, but have often assumed incorrectly before. Reason for asking is that the oil leak in my 4 defeats all attempts to stop it. Latest thought is cracked sump and I just happen to have an early standard sump lying around. JJC

Is it not possible to weld it, thought these are mild steel? But yes, probably easier to replace...

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

There are at least two types of pressed steel sump, I know because I have both. One has a parallel threaded boss for the drain hole and one has a tapered threaded boss.

My original sump had been repaired (brazed) and to avoid the possibility of it splitting again, I picked up a second hand one on the Bay. It turned out to have the parallel threaded boss and I had a hell of a time trying to find a plug to fit it, in the end I went to a plumbing supplies shop.

Rgds Ian

First Q., JJC, where is it leaking?

A clean and a dusting with talc might show it up.

Not familiar with Tr4s, but a pressed steel sumo is a pressed steel sump.

Have a DPO tightened the bolts so that the flange is belled around them? Dressing the sump by light hammer blows against a 'post' can get it sealed again.

John

There are at least two types of pressed steel sump, I know because I have both. One has a parallel threaded boss for the drain hole and one has a tapered threaded boss.

Ian Thanks. Fortunately I think my spare still has the plug in the boss. But I'll look out for that problem. So otherwise they all fit. Good news! JJC