I'm about to fit the straps to the hood frame and to the body, but can't guess how long the piece between the body and the rearmost arc of the frame should be (screw hole in body to screw hole in frame) what looks about right is 10 in, but do I need to fit windscreen and hood to get it right? Anyone knows?

IMG_3118.JPG

IMG_3116.jpg

Hi Inge,

I just did the same thing on my TR4 - they are probably not the same.

Is there a pocket on the roof where the front of the frame attaches. If so this may need attaching first.

The other frames should then follow.

Roger

Inge,

I suggest you look at this thread on the British Car Forum:

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?109923-Upholstery-!/page5

It's by John Durant who recently restored a 1955 TR2 and describes in words and pictures exactly what to do.

Keith Jordan

Fit the straps to the rear body, lay them over the frame, & clamp to the front hoop with mole grips (or similar temporary means) use long straps to start.

Fit hood, & then push the frame back & up into the hood trying to line the hoops up with the seams in the hood. when the hood is taut, & front hoop on the seam (or as near as you can get it) re-fit the mole grip so straps are tight on front hoop.

You can now screw the strap to the front hoop, Then repeat to get the centre hoop in ciorrect place, & secure that.

As said abouve, leave the rear hoop floating, it make "erection" (ooh Matron) easier.

Bob.

Thanks for all the information, looks like I've got to spend some time fixing the windscreen first of all.

/Inge

Edwin/ Inge

I used those measurements from Teri Ann and it worked perfectly, but like Bob I locked the back down first then the front, then middle but NOT the last one.

Strange to say that about a month ago in a very strong headwind and no sidescreens in, the lower so called tension hoop got pulled forward and slacked off the hood, so we had to stop and push it back into position as the hood was flapping madly in that wind, but that is the only time in 8 years that that has happened.

With that thread on fitting the Tenax´s to the TR2 windscreen, when I did mine I worked from the centre outwards to keep the tension on the hood between the fixings, as I felt that starting from one side, you could end up with the whole lot lop-sided being too long on the last ones. If you were too short, you would be in the mire.

In the pictures it looked like the main over centre legs were not fully extended. Make sure they are as this is important when you start to fit the webbing.

Dave

Thank you guys, your info will spare me a lot of frustration!

/Inge

Edwin

I see that your hood has two seams running fro back to front, something mine does not have but do have ltd´s on my doors to hold the sidescreens in and also the tonneau when in use separately

I see also from your inside picture your tension hoop sits better into the rear cross seam thn mine, but your outside picture shows it like mine with the hoop short of that seam. It has only happened once and that was with strong winds giving it hell, even so there is no way I would permanently fix that hoop to the webbing as then it is a hard job to get the hood up and tensioned.

Dave

Edwin

Oops! why did I say that the sidescreens also have LTD´s of course they don't, but then mine seem to fit closer to the car than those in your picture. Not a criticism mind you, no offence meant. I like the colour of your hood and upholstery, what is it called?

Dave

Edwin

Oops! why did I say that the sidescreens also have LTD´s of course they don't, but then mine seem to fit closer to the car than those in your picture. Not a criticism mind you, no offence meant. I like the colour of your hood and upholstery, what is it called?

Dave

Hi Dave,

you mean the space between doors and the sidescreen flap / lower half?

In this picture i didnt had the tenax buttons in place yet.

heres the car with sidescreen fitte properly:

JGp-hPWMnGP6FqM1UgdrGMW0T1aMQAb0aNFTKgSV

the color is blackberry