MX5 Seat brackets

Could anyone send me a photo or image of MX5 seat conversion brackets as per the Technicalities CD.

Are these stronger brackets available from good people in TR circles.( My welding skills-zero) :unsure:

Thanks for your help as always,

Malcolm.

Thanks Steve,

Brackets as per Tech.CD are stronger,no floor flex.

Can anyone send photo,are these available to purchase?

Thanks again.

Malcolm.

As you are a member dont you have the CD? If not then ask the office to send you one as the dimensions are in there. Agreed with you that they are much stronger than the others and this does indeed negate floor flex (You could haul the Titanic off them!)

One of our members (Smeggy) used to produce them but he hasnt been seen for ages.. Any competent machine shop with a decent press brake can produce them.

Stuart.

post-3753-0-98047800-1500629851_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-25474400-1500629857_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-74158900-1500629862_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-52571600-1500629868_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-72009800-1500629873_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-03362400-1500629879_thumb.jpg

post-3753-0-86272000-1500629884_thumb.jpg

Thanks Stuart,

These look totally differant design to whats currently available.

Just wondering if possible ease of fitting,using existing floor captive fittings, is at the expense of strength?

Malcolm.

Thanks Stuart,

These look totally differant design to whats currently available.

Just wondering if possible ease of fitting,using existing floor captive fittings, is at the expense of strength?

Malcolm.

They are the ones from the technicalities CD they still use the original fixing points. They are what we fit.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Malcolm,

Finally getting round to fitting MX5 seats that I bought ages ago into my car.

Seen your message about the £55.00 brackets on ebay.

Are they a good product and do they fit OK?

Do the welded bolts fit into the 4 large diameter eyes at the ends of the Mazda runners/frames?

Presumably you have to bend those end eyes flat on the runners and cut the 2 pointed pegs off the bottom to fit the seats to these brackets?

Are any other mods necessary?

Dave McD

Malcolm,

Finally getting round to fitting MX5 seats that I bought ages ago into my car.

Seen your message about the £55.00 brackets on ebay.

Are they a good product and do they fit OK?

Do the welded bolts fit into the 4 large diameter eyes at the ends of the Mazda runners/frames?

Presumably you have to bend those end eyes flat on the runners and cut the 2 pointed pegs off the bottom to fit the seats to these brackets?

Are any other mods necessary?

Dave McD

Hi Dave

I've just fitted these to the 5 that I'm rebuilding and I've fitted them to my 6 in the past. Same issue with both.The brackets fit the seat runners, but the brackets don't line up with the floor pan mounts.Have a look at my blog - near the end 3/4 of the way down- here's the link

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/rebuilders-diary/2013/07/0055/TR5-Patience-Rebuild

best Bill

Hi Dave,

Only mods are as you describe,the holes in mine only needed slight fileing to line up.

Very sturdy,5mm thick,once installed only 4 nuts on the studs,seats out in couple of minutes.

Regards,

Malcolm.

Thanks Bill and Malcolm,

I did a dummy run with the drivers seat without any brackets yesterday.

Took original TR5 seat out. Straightened the Mazda rails end eyes and cut the pointed pegs off. Sat the seat on the carpet and moved it around for best fit and to assess correlation of the Mazda rail fixings and original TR floor captive nuts and it makes sense now.

First reactions :-

1. Even with seat directly on floor I felt high. I'm 6' 0", so not desperatley tall. Perhaps I'm short in the leg and long in the body, but the back of my head felt very close to the Surrey top rear screen frame so I wouldn't want to raise the seat at all.

2. The seat squab felt too flat with lack of support at the front under the back of the knees. With a 32mm wooden lathe across under the front to lift it the seating position felt much better.

For those reasons I propose to use a combination of brackets.

1. I'll use the flat £55.00 ebay type brackets at the back so I don't lift the base any higher than absolutely necessary.

2. I'll have some brackets made up like the TR Technicalities CD front ones (see Stuarts' 1st & 2nd photos in 4th post above) which lift the front and will introduce the required slope into the squab.

I'm off to the steel fabricators yard to order them today.

Dave McD

Dave,

Try welding the studs that go through the eyes on the seat runners,onto the front brackets.

When fitting seats you then only lower seats onto all 4 studs,washers,nuts,job done.

Just makes fitting a tad easier.

Regards,

Malcolm.

TR Trader offers or did, two heights of bracket. I used the lower.

With the higher brackets my head seemed to be above the top of the windscreen.

I'm 6'0", 32" leg, if you want to know, ducky.

Issue with my very comfy MX5 seats is that they were just slightly wider than the originals. When seeking maximum legroom, they either clout the trans tunnel or the B post. I had sufficient room, but I noticed as he drove off that the rather tall new owner of my car didn't.

Ivor