Steering Wheel

Following extensive damage and a full re-spray, re-trim, hood, wood etc at TR Enterprises I decided (wrongly) that instead of a standard wheel I would have a wooden Motolita fitted, as the wheel was too damaged to repair.

I friend of mine has come to the rescue and has given me a standard TR6 steering wheel. It, like many of the original parts if they were no renovated is showing signs of 25 years of wear and I would like to get it renovated to match the smart new interior my 6 is currently sporting.

I do not know about the rest of you but I have not seen any sources of wheel renovation in the variety of magazines that I buy. (no funny comments please!)

Can anyone help here, if you have had a steering wheel renovated and were happy with it I would be delighted if you could help.

Peter

Peter

Whilst I know of one or two companies renovating the older & rather scarcer, steel spoke bakelite rimmed wheels, I don’t know of anyone tackling the more ‘modern’ composite steering wheel - although someone probably will now prove me wrong!

The problem with the 6 wheel is it has an anodise alloy, spoke frame with a composite moulded rubber/simulated leather rim. To renovate the anodising, I’m sure, would result in the destruction of the composite rim & may even be detrimental to the strength of the alloy spokes; & whilst remoulding the rim is certainly possible, it’s likely to be prohibitively expensive!

Initially, my original wheel looked terrible & I almost threw it in the skip & bought a new Motolita but I decide to have a go at renovating it myself. I gave it a good clean with solvent & a little polishing of the spokes helps bring any bare alloy back to a closer match where the anodising had worn away. I then sprayed the whole lot with a couple of light coats of clear, Acrylic matt lacquer (it’s flexible). Although it probably wouldn’t win a concourse inspection, I was quiet amazed with the result & still looks as good 2 ½ years later.

This approach does require a reasonably sound wheel to start off with & obviously won’t take care of gouges but I’m sure these could be tackled with suitable filling products by the really ambitious, providing they aren’t too deep! All it cost me was £2.95 for a small spray can from Halfords + a couple of hours work so it’s certainly worth giving it a try.

Edited by Richard CRawley
The problem with the 6 wheel is it has an anodise alloy, spoke frame with a composite moulded rubber/simulated leather rim. To renovate the anodising, I’m sure, would result in the destruction of the composite rim & may even be detrimental to the strength of the alloy spokes;

Hi Richard, are you sure the spokes are alloy, not steel finished to look like alloy, I'm sure there's some rusty patches on my original wheel - why I got a brand new leather rimmed Mountney (couldn't afford Mota-lita or the other posh make!) for £25 on eBay.

Peter

Whilst I know of one or two companies renovating the older & rather scarcer, steel spoke bakelite rimmed wheels, I don’t know of anyone tackling the more ‘modern’ composite steering wheel - although someone probably will now prove me wrong!

The problem with the 6 wheel is it has an anodise alloy, spoke frame with a composite moulded rubber/simulated leather rim. To renovate the anodising, I’m sure, would result in the destruction of the composite rim & may even be detrimental to the strength of the alloy spokes; & whilst remoulding the rim is certainly possible, it’s likely to be prohibitively expensive!

Initially, my original wheel looked terrible & I almost threw it in the skip & bought a new Motolita but I decide to have a go at renovating it myself. I gave it a good clean with solvent & a little polishing of the spokes helps bring any bare alloy back to a closer match where the anodising had worn away. I then sprayed the whole lot with a couple of light coats of clear, Acrylic matt lacquer (it’s flexible). Although it probably wouldn’t win a concourse inspection, I was quiet amazed with the result & still looks as good 2 ½ years later.

This approach does require a reasonably sound wheel to start off with & obviously won’t take care of gouges but I’m sure these could be tackled with suitable filling products by the really ambitious, providing they aren’t too deep! All it cost me was £2.95 for a small spray can from Halfords + a couple of hours work so it’s certainly worth giving it a try.

I painted the spokes of my original (1969) wheel satin black, and a local saddler made a great job of re-covering the rim in black leather. The whole effect is really pleasing.

The wheel spokes are definitely alloy, my wheel was slightly deformed and the paint was worn in places, with some 'gentle' manipulation I got the dishing just about right on all 3 spokes. i then cleaned and gave the spokes a brushed aluminium finish with some wet and dry, looks quite natty. the leather rim came up nice with a clean with a mild detergent and then some leather food. nice and black again.

H

The very early ones are as Jean says alloy with leather over composite.

They weigh alot less then the later one,s even less than a motalita .

I am trying to find a local to cover one at the moment

It,s time to get the tr,s warmed up spring is round the corner.

Reg (now with a 4a as well)

• 15 years later...

Found this thread from way back. I have a 3 spoke TR6 steering wheel. The rubber moulding is ok except a piece is missing on one of the spokes. (Where the spoke meets the rim on the inside). I could cover it with a leather cover but the missing bit of rubber moulding would show. I have seen something called Bison liquid rubber on the internet - could this be used to replace the missing bit. I could cut off the matching bits of moulding from the other 2 spokes but that might look a bit odd or does anyone have any other suggestions.

Keith

On 1/20/2006 at 10:35 AM, jonlar said:

Hi Richard, are you sure the spokes are alloy, not steel finished to look like alloy, I'm sure there's some rusty patches on my original wheel - why I got a brand new leather rimmed Mountney (couldn't afford Mota-lita or the other posh make!) for £25 on eBay.

I agree with you they are mild steel with a satin chrome finish. The hard part would be to find a company that can do this finish? On Car SOS they found a man that can replace the leather/rubber work on the outer rim and then of course it looks like new! but they never tell you the whose who?

Bruce.