I purchased a rather cheap (should have known!) pipe expander on first use the nut stripped ! give the seller his due he did give me a full refund and I still have 2 of the set of 3 expanders, but looking to see if I can replace the stripped nut, the pitch appears to be 1.25 and the std size is curiously 12.5mm any thoughts on what size nut I need as I thought if it was M12 it would have been a 12mm stud ? and since its a cheap Chinese bit of kit can't the threads would be imperial ?

I also have a crap pipe expander. This one broke one of the cones! Examination found it to be some sort of sintered casting, with more voids in than an Aero bar.

Recommendations of better quality, please?

John

Edited by john.r.davies

I also have a crap pipe expander. This one broke one of the cones! Examination found it to be some sort of sintered casting, with more voids in than an Aero bar.

Recommendations of better quality, please?

John

John you must have had a good set then, with mine the nuts are so soft they fail even before the pipe expands !

1/2" x 20 tpi perhaps.

20 tpi is 0.050" pitch ... which is about 1.25 mm ... 1mm being 0.040"

Same as thread size as TR2-4 cyl head nut

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Graham has kindly offered to send me thwe conical spreaders from his set, incase they will suit mine.

I've given him the dimensions, and here's a pic for comparison.

MY repaired spreader is on the left, but I haven't dared use it since!

John

post-535-0-72755000-1498929271_thumb.jpg

post-535-0-61267700-1498929280_thumb.jpg

Edited by john.r.davies