Ignition coil

Had some problems with random backfires over the last few days. Even happened on a rolling road. Two in sequence then runs fine for an hour. Later today four in a row. I've got 123 electronic ignition and a Lucas sports coil, but it's dated 6/90. Dist and rotor look fine, all connections too. Wonder if the coil is dying and if so where can I source another here in London? Should I try for a lucas sport (which is what I have now) or go for something else. And, of course, hope that this solves things!

Hi Ron

My coil packed up on the MOT ramp about 3 years ago. The tester drove it in, checked it, went to drive it forward for headlamps and it wouldn't restart. Failed the test!

On the day I managed to obtain one from a motor factors, they are few and far between, but if you're in London it may well be worth the drive to Twickenham Moss Europe, as for one they will have one, and secondly be able to tell you which one suits your application. I do believe they are open Saturday afternoons.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

I've had problems in the past which I put down to the coil (when I had a Lucas Sports one). In the end, I switched to a Pertronix Flamethrower coil as recommended by Martin Jay. It has worked well for me. They are available from the Distributor Doctor's website and elsewhere.

Cheers, Darren

Thanks for the suggestions - I have my original which I may strap on to double check. I will also order new rotor and cap just in case....!

I think the 123 manufucturers recommend a Beru coil?

Most important is to get a coil with the appropriate resistance.

Ballast/non-ballast have significantly different resistances, ballast being lower to work well at the lower voltage they see with the ballast resistor.

Steve