Reminds me of the beryllium/aluminium alloy pistons that McLaren used in 2007, and were banned, even though Uncle Ron swore they were harmless.

Probably were, unlike the brake rotors used by Porsche, as Be is carcinogenic.

John

Pete, Minute particles in the oil that get embedded in the shell ?? Its the hard 'asperities' held in the soft alloy that do the scoring of the journal. Peter

Interesting link sent to me my GT6M a while back, whilst promoting King bearings actually has some interesting background to operation of embeded particles.

http://kingbearings.com/files/Engine_Bearing_Materials.pdf

Alan

Not sure about the last - I once worked with a nurse whose wedding ring was 24 carat. After 18 months, it was too worn to wear!

Nurses do wash their hands a lot, but it's not clear how that affects gold.

And what about the OE small chassis (TRs too?) front upright trunnions? Bronze, or at least brass, with a steel thread working in it. What's the metallurgy behind that?

John

24 carat is pure gold which is the softest of the lot. The hardest one we used to use for dental crowns was 18 carat platinised.

Lower carat ones are usually diluted with cheaper metals like copper for cheaper jewellery.

Edited by littlejim