Isn't it always the small things which are most aggravating? The heater vent control knob on the TR6 came off, so I bought a new one. The problem is I cannot get it to stay on. The spring loaded ball bearing on the shaft moves OK, but doesn't seem to engage sufficiently to hold the knob on. The problem is just as it was with the old knob.

I was half expecting the knob to have a metal insert to engage with the ball bearing, because the material the knob is made of seems too soft to hold.

Anyone else had this problem? Am I missing something?

Terry

Hi, Terry,

I recall the poor fit of the heater knobs from the usual suspects coming up before.

When I wanted a set of knobs, I bought them from The Roadster Factory (TRF) in the USA, at a price which was less than the UK price, even when carriage was added. They all fitted perfectly.

I realise this may not be very practical if you only want one knob, but maybe you could find some other items to buy from TRF, or perhaps make up an order with some friends?

Good luck,

John

Hi John

I had a quick look at the TRF site, which is very good. It isn't clear in what way their knobs are better than the UK versions and, while I appreciate your own endorsement, I would like to understand the problem better.

The heater valve, heater fan and choke knobs all work well, so why doesn't the other knob? I am not that cynical to believe that Messrs Rimmers deliberately make knobs that don't fit, but talking to their parts dept today, they were at a loss to explain the problem.

Maybe I will take the shaft off and have a play around with it on the workbench.

Terry

Usual problem with those is the hole for the button in the knob either isnt the correct size to allow the button to engage or isnt quite drilled in the right place so it still doesnt engage.Oh and isnt it supposed to be a pin not a ball to hold it on?

Stuart

Edit; in fact thinking about it that may well have been your original problem why your original knob fell off and the cable itself is wrong at the end where the knob fits, has it been replaced with a repro before?

Edited by stuart

Now this is ueseful...

I decided a day or so back to down size my collection of TR bits, and I recall there being a selection of NOS TR250/6 heater and dash knobs in the box.

When you say 'Heater' which one. Word or symbol ( I know I have word type not the symbol) Pull Heat, Fan etc

PM me if you are in need and I will sort out the items.

Peter W

PS All Gone.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Stuart,

Thanks again. I do not know the provenance of the cable fitting. I probably misdescribed the fitting as a 'ball bearing' - it is really a sprung pin, but the shoulders of the pin seem to be slightly rounded off giving the same effect as a ball bearing in that it just slips out.

Terry