The steel wheels on my Doretti look fine, and I have booted them up with new tires. But early TRs, and I am pretty sure my Doretti, came with "4 J" size wheels, instead of the later "4 1/2 J" wheels. I have read that the 4J wheels are weaker and prone to breakage. My question is, exactly what measurement do I take to see what I have, and is there really any issue with the weakness of the 4J wheels that I should be concerned about. Thanks!

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

4J wheels were standard on all 4-cylinder cars, although the later wheels were stronger than the earlier versions.

You have to push the car pretty damn hard, or over pretty rough roads, to suffer wheel problems . . . . . for preference I'd stick with 155 rather than 165 tyres on the earlier rims.

Cheers

Alec

Identification can also be done by looking at how the rims are attached to the centres.

The early 4" wheels were riveted, the 4½" wheels were spot welded. you can feel the rivets easily, you cannot feel the welds.

Bob.