Fuel Pump Gaskets

Dear Collective

I seem to have an oil weep / leak from the fuel pump to engine interface. Should I buy a bespoke gasket or just buy some gasket material and cut one out myself?

2nd question - should I be looking for a thick gasket or a thin one? I always think the thick gaskets look better and more likely to seal than the thin ones, but happy to be corrected.

TIA

Malcolm

Be aware if you move the pump outwards it lessens the stroke so slightly lessening the delivery.

Stuart.

The simple thin paper gasket and scrupulously clean mating surfaces have always worked for me.

Perhaps reface the pump casting by some abrasive paper on a glass plate to ensure flatness?

I don't like RTV or other curing polymers in places where a piece could plug oilways if it gets into the system.

Edited by Don H.

Thanks fellas

The local Supercheap Auto sells 0.8mm thick oil gasket material so I'll give that a burl. Tempted to try the Cornflakes packet, though :)

The car's not pushed hard so fuel delivery shouldn't be a problem (I hope!). Maybe one day I might consider going electric, too.

Also got a small leak from the rear end of the sump (I think) so I'll make up a thick gasket for the sump, too, while I'm at it.

Thanks again.