Oil pressure after layup

Ok so the good news is that the car started up after being in bits during the respray. Bad news is oil pressure seemed a little elusive :-(

Before sending the car for respray I took the oil filter housing and cooler off the car to give the respray guys access to the area around the engine. I replaced the filter housing and cooler but forgot to refil the filter with oil (naughty boy!).

I gave the car about 30 secs on the starter with the plugs out. Then started the car and ran it for about 5-10 secs and then ran it again on the starter with out plugs for about 15-20 secs. No pressure. Have undone the filter and it is full the brim which suggests it pumping..

Am I just being paranoid?

Should I just give another run on the starter? Or perhaps undo the cooler and manually fill?

Cheers

Tim

PS was great to hear the 6 purring again!

OK will do.. anyone know what wrench size the hoses on mocal oil coolers are?

Tim

Checked the oil cooler and it is full to the brim. Gave it another minute or so on the starte with the plugs out and still no pressure.

Removed the oil pressure sender and no flow when turning over.

Am I missing something?

Think I might try getting the oil pressure up using the drill on the oil pump drive trick...

Worked before. Hopefully will work again.

Tim

Problem is not the oil cooler, that is a thing

that does no harm if properly fitted.

The engine is now at the edge to suffer badly.

What I would do now is to remove the ignition

and the toothed wheel below and turn the oil

pump directly with a special tool and and accu tool

because its spanner is made to withstand running

opposite direction what is required here.

Turn the pump until pressure is there and keep on for

a minute with lower revs to press out the air bubbles

from the oil piping.

Some work to reset the ignition but necessary

Thanks andreas,

That is exactly what i plan to do today.

Will keep you updated

Tim

Tim,

I had this problem many moons ago, I was told by a Local BL dealer to remove the blanking plug in the block below the oil pressure s/w. Fill an oil suringe with engine oil and inject the oil into this blanking plug hole until oil flows out. Then do the same to the oil pressure s/w take off hole. You can also remove the oil gallery blanking plug underneath the alternator and inject oil directly into the oil gallery.

It worked for me straight away!

Bruce.

Not that this will be a helpful comment but I really don't understand why anyone who's not racing or rallying would want or need an oil cooler. If it were my car I'd get rid of it. More trouble than they're worth.

I was going to say the exact same thing Steve.

I've rebuilt my motor twice over the past 40 odd years (mashed thrust washers) I never thought to fill the oil filter before start up, but never had any oil pressure issues. Could it be the oil pump drive has failed?

OK all back to normal. Primed the oil pump using a drill. Oil pressure came up after a little while. Fired her up and all ok.

So happy happy.

Tim