Side Light L594 Query

Hi Folks,

a concern has been sent to me regarding the Lucas L594 side lamp as used on the TR3 etc.

The original design uses two wires and a pair of quite small contacts where the bulb sits.

The new design now use two spring loaded plunger type contacts. The bulb contacts are bigger and thus come closer to the earthed

body.

Has anybody had any situation where the bulb contacts have shorted to the body.

I have had a look at both, and the new one, although the contacts are closer, look OK (under normal conditions).

Can the  retaining holes enlarge to allow a short.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Roger

old design

[attachment=19733:P1050225a.jpg][attachment=19735:P1050227a.jpg]

New design

[attachment=19734:P1050226a.jpg][attachment=19736:P1050228a.jpg]

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger

I used one of these repro's on a Mini, and whilst it works (so far), the bulb would not fit neatly and parallel with the walls. This was due to inferior manufacture of the bayonet casing which allowed the bulb to tilt.

I managed to get the domed glass on, but not easily. I don't hold out much hope that this part will make it as a 'classic'' still around in 50 years.

Kevin

Luckily Im still using up my old stock ones but there are good repros and bad repros and they arent all the same.

Stuart.

I am glad that you have posted the internal pictures because it shows how a small spread of the contact can result in a short and the loom is melted.

This happened to me and I am now searching for nos. Can anyone help?

Thanks Richard & H.