Ignition & Indicators gone down!

Gents

50yds from home, I've coasted to a stop with no ignition and no indicators???

A quick shove up the incline has her safely on the drive, but now, the questions begin;

I have;

- '75 plate ('74 built) '6'

- luminition ignition (fitted by the PO)

- Fuel pump running

- No electrical life in the cylinders

She has run well and pulled like a train since Clive Manvers sorted out the air and fuel delivery late last year

Today she has started on the button, but, 7 miles and 3 starts later, she just died, quietly, with no fuss

If it were just ignition, I would eliminate all the usual suspects;

- duff coil, duff LT / HT coil leads

- dizzy

- As a last resort the luminition kit.

And I will do this anyway but, indicators as well as ignition, leads me to fear wiring in the steering column or some such gremlin.

Can any of you cast a possible light on which gremlins I should persue and the order of pursuit?

Grateful thanks as always

John,

Just re-read yours which states fuel pump is running -oops!

If your electrics are standard then power for the distributor and the fuel pump is taken from the same "un-fused" live side of one of the fuses, the fused side does go off to the indicators and wipers.

If fuel pump is wired directly to the battery earth terminal then I would suspect battery isolation screw if you have one has worked loose.

Is there a voltage on the live feed on the distributor?

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

John,

http://vitessesteve.co.uk/PDF/TR6Wiring.pdf

The coil/disy and pump are not fused and share a common feed from the ignition switch, and meet at the fuse that then supplies the indicators.

So having the pump working and the the other two dead is odd -perhaps the pump supply has been rerouted so lets ignore it.

I would check that with ignition switch on the three white wires on the the fusebox are live ( its the terminal with 3 white ones going in, and 2 green out). If its dead check the white wires going into the back of the ignition switch are all sound.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

John,

The coil/disy and pump are not fused and share a common feed from the ignition switch, and meet at the fuse that then supplies the indicators.

So having the pump working and the the other two dead is odd -perhaps the pump supply has been rerouted so lets ignore it.

I would check that with ignition switch on the three white wires on the the fusebox are live ( its the terminal with 3 white ones going in, and 2 green out). If its dead check the white wires going into the back of the ignition switch are all sound.

Peter

Peter

11v at the battery

11v at the LT connection to the coil

11v at the fuse box (2 white in 3 green out which is different to your suggestion)

John,

So the ig sw is OK.

I'd suspect the Luminition - check by changing back to points. Also Alan's check for disy live.

Cant see why the indicators have failed too.- check fuse hasn't blown killing feed to those green wires.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

John,

So the ig sw is OK.

I'd suspect the Luminition - check by changing back to points. Also Alan's check for disy live.

Cant see why the indicators have failed too.- check fuse hasn't blown killing feed to those green wires.

Peter

Thanks Peter

Checked all 4 fuses - all sound

Don't have a set of points and associated hardware.

In addition, I think the pegs in the dizzy have been altered so not even sure if the points would fit.

Have to get a spare distributor me thinks

I do gave a new Powerspark electronic ignition system and it looks to be a reletively simple job to make the swap, but, not today.

It's too hot and I am being offered cold beer, so this will sit for a day or 2 whilst I mull over the potential issues

It's the failure if the indicators that has me confused if I'm honest

It's this that makes me think I have a wiring gremlin.

I hope not, but, hope and reality generally don't go hand in hand!

John,

Just re-read yours which states fuel pump is running -oops!

If your electrics are standard then power for the distributor and the fuel pump is taken from the same "un-fused" live side of one of the fuses, the fused side does go off to the indicators and wipers.

If fuel pump is wired directly to the battery earth terminal then I would suspect battery isolation screw if you have one has worked loose.

Is there a voltage on the live feed on the distributor?

Alan

Alan

Bosch replacement pump by PO, so, could be wired any which way but loose

Checked earth connections where they are obvious and they, plus the battery connections are all good.

I have checked the connections to the dizzy (see attached) and non of them appear to have volts running up 'em, they are all 'dead'

post-12772-0-76357700-1471273240_thumb.jpg

Thanks Peter

Checked all 4 fuses - all sound

Don't have a set of points and associated hardware.

In addition, I think the pegs in the dizzy have been altered so not even sure if the points would fit.

Have to get a spare distributor me thinks

I do gave a new Powerspark electronic ignition system and it looks to be a reletively simple job to make the swap, but, not today.

It's too hot and I am being offered cold beer, so this will sit for a day or 2 whilst I mull over the potential issues

It's the failure if the indicators that has me confused if I'm honest

It's this that makes me think I have a wiring gremlin.

I hope not, but, hope and reality generally don't go hand in hand!

Check you have live on the other side of the coil with disy wire disconnected. It might be coil gone open circuit. Cheapo coils are often the culprit. Coil resistance should be a few ohms I forget what. If its zero you have found it.

Indicator switch on column can be dodgy - very poor contact design. Give the battery a good charge and see if it perks up.

Theres no obvious reaon why, with known 11 v at the coil ( the white wires) and a sound fuse, the green wire to the indicators should be dead. However try removing the fuse and replacing it with another.Fuses can fail while appearing to be sound: crud on contacts,or continuity break inside the end-caps. Or it could be failed flasher unit (passenger footwell) - are there volts there?

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

John,

Peter

Peter

Just for reference, the fuse box

It's still the damned indicators that have me foxed!

Still, there's nothing a few beers can't sort out . . . . . .hey ho

post-12772-0-67148000-1471273345_thumb.jpg

Edited by wjgco

Check you have live on the other side of the coil with disy wire disconnected. It might be coil gone open circuit. Cheapo coils are often the culprit.

Indicator switch on column can be dodgy - very poor contact design. Give the battery a good charge and see if it perks up.

Peter

In the process of changing the coil as your note appeared.

Now . . . . . Call me a silly old thing if you will, but, I didn't not the orientation of the coil before I removed it.

I know, I know, basic error of a 3 year old, but, I blame stupidity.

My memory suggests + from the fuse box . . . .

Peter

Now . . . . . Call me a silly old thing if you will, but, I didn't not the orientation of the coil before I removed it.

John, Yes, battery is negative earth - as per the wiring diagram. So live side of coil is +.

Have added edits above re indicators. Peter

Dont mention beer - I'm on antibiotics... :( :(

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Peter

Looking at your photo, I think your Luminition box is fed by a short blue wire from the same fuse feeding the indicator green wire.

That could be the link in common. Definitely replace that fuse - check the new one is not open circuit. Clean up fuse contacts and spade connectors.

Cross fingers.

Peter

Check you have live on the other side of the coil with disy wire disconnected. It might be coil gone open circuit. Cheapo coils are often the culprit. Coil resistance should be a few ohms I forget what. If its zero you have found it.

Theres no obvious reaon why, with known 11 v at the coil ( the white wires) and a sound fuse, the green wire to the indicators should be dead. However try removing the fuse and replacing it with another.Fuses can fail while appearing to be sound: crud on contacts,or continuity break inside the end-caps. Or it could be failed flasher unit (passenger footwell) - are there volts there?

Peter

Fuse changed, no joy

Haven't checked the flasher unit yet

John, Yes, battery is negative earth - as per the wiring diagram. So live side of coil is +.

Have added edits above re indicators. Peter

Dont mention beer - I'm on antibiotics... :( :(

See attached

Volt meter between battery - and coil + ; 0 volts

Volt meter between battery - and coil - ; 10 volts

Now I'm confused!

When I checked it 40 minutes ago, I got 11 volts between battery - and coil +!!

I'm sure I need to have that drink!

post-12772-0-91793200-1471275796_thumb.jpg

Edited by wjgco

Alan / Peter

Just been out for a 10 minutes blast . . . . . . . 6 cylinders all firing and rarin' to go and indicators showing the way!

Original dissy cap and leads, original coil, replacement rotor arm (red for red).

New 35 amp fuse.

My money is on the fuse!

As is often the case, the forum guru's know what they are talking about . . .a fuse that was OBVIOUSLY in good order, replaced on advice from the forum and everything is back up and running.

It goes to prove that you literally; cannot believe your eyes

Very many thanks for the guidance both, I hope I can pass the help on in the future.

John, Excellent, a quick result ! From pushing to driving in 5 hours!

I had read on the forum a while back about dodgy glass fuses that looked OK ** ....so we have that person to thank ultimately. And your photo was important as it showed your wring has been changed from standard. cheers, Peter

** It might have been this thread:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/46791-dodgy-glass-fuse/?hl=%2Bglass+%2Bfuse

Edited by Peter Cobbold

I'll wager that the offending fuse has a loose end cap which is making intermittent contact with the fuse wire. They test ok but fail intermittently. It happened to me. I'd sort that wiring so that the ignition circuit isn't fused.

Edited by peejay4A

John,

I agree the ignition should not be on that fused circuit, imagine fast lane of motorway in dark and starts to rain hard, you turn the wipers on and the fuse blows and your engine cuts out and no flashers either to get to the hard shoulder safely. That is gambling with high stakes.

Alan

John,

I agree the ignition should not be on that fused circuit, imagine fast lane of motorway in dark and starts to rain hard, you turn the wipers on and the fuse blows and your engine cuts out and no flashers either to get to the hard shoulder safely. That is gambling with high stakes.

Alan

Alan

Nightmare scenario

I'm a steam engineer, not a sparks, so would need 1 and 2 syllable guidance to make the change

I plan to upgrade the fusebox . . . . . . Soonest!

This I CAN do, using the modern medium of photography and calling on lady luck.

Any thoughts on this, or similar?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Universlal-Blade-Fuse-Holder-Box-Car-Boat-Motohome-Auto-Cable-6-Way-Cabling-/351237846136?fits=Model%3ATR+6&hash=item51c7683478:g:8EIAAOSwNSxVGS75

Alan

Nightmare scenario

1 and 2 syllable guidance to make the change

Connect that short blue wire that runs to the Lumenition to either of the white wires that feed into the fuse its connected to at present. That eliminates the fuse. Leave the green wires as they are.Peter

Connect that short blue wire that runs to the Lumenition to either of the white wires that feed into the fuse its connected to at present. That eliminates the fuse. Leave the green wires as they are.Peter

Peter

Now that, I understand!

Thanks