Aluminium Crank Pulley Failure

Hi LJ,

not surprising really that the whole thing came off.

Imagine a small crack starting in the bottom of the 'V' on the outer rim side.

The belt is tensioned with rotation - the crack grows.

Because of the fast rotation there is almost an even load on the circumference. When the crack gets big enough the tensile load will become too great on the remaining metal and 'pop' off it comes.

If the bottom of the 'V' was rounded or had rounded corners it almost certainly wouldn't happen.

A one off is bad luck but not a disaster.

Roger

it makes changing the belt easier :P

Only taking it off Roger keeping a new one on would be a challenge!

Iain

Yes, changing the belt would be simplified, but keeping it in place would be a challenge.

Hi Eddie,

Why stainless? It can be used straight from manufacture. Carbon steel would be fine, but I would need to paint it or powder coat and that starts to increase the cost, but I am open to suggestions for this.

Meanwhile I have removed the failed one and fitted a new Alloy one without removing any other parts from the car.

see description here

TT

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update and an observation:

Now that I have driven a few more miles with the new pulley, I have noticed two things:

- The car runs more smoothly,

- It sounds slightly less lumpy. (Not that it was noticeably lumpy previously)

I am now of the opinion, that the pulley must have had a problem for a while prior to failure, and the actual moment of failure was a culmination of the build up of cyclic stresses over nearly 500 miles. The initial cause of the failure will probably never be detemined, but it recovers my trust in using an Aluminium pulley.

TT

A quick update and an observation:

Now that I have driven a few more miles with the new pulley, I have noticed two things:

- The car runs more smoothly,

- It sounds slightly less lumpy. (Not that it was noticeably lumpy previously)

I am now of the opinion, that the pulley must have had a problem for a while prior to failure, and the actual moment of failure was a culmination of the build up of cyclic stresses over nearly 500 miles. The initial cause of the failure will probably never be detemined, but it recovers my trust in using an Aluminium pulley.

TT

Maybe you might have had a similar problem as mine a month or go Tony? My pulley had come loose on the woodruff key. Perhaps yours had done the same, maybe you not noticing, & any 'stress' made the actual pulley fail?

Cheers.

Hi Monty,

The pulley was tightly held on the crank, (I had to use a puller to remove it), but I think the pulley must have had a flaw.

TT

Yes Tony you must be correct, I think mine just pulled off with no assistance!

From what I have heard of changing a wide fan belt I think you are probably correct.

It's not a problem to change the wide fan belt - I've just done it. Only needed to remove the Kenlowe, loosen the engine mounts, jack the engine up, put wedges in the engine mounts, use a crowbar to force the new belt into the gap between the extension and the rack, get stuck, try again with a liberal application of Swarfega to lubricate...

I'm sure the skin on my knuckles will grow back eventually.

Pete