Throttle Cable Too Short

Hello,

I'm having an ongoing challenge trying to get my CR PI Triumph TR6 engine controls working properly, specifically throttle linkage and accelerator cable. I'm now at point where I really have no further ideas as to what to do next so any help or advice would be appreciated.

I've spent today fitting a new Revington TR overhead throttle linkage kit which is now on the car. I've balanced the throttle bodies/ butterflies and they're all pulling equally at fast idle using a balancing gauge. I will adjust then ticker with the air-bleed valve when its all back together. So all looking positive so far I thought.

The problem is that when I connect the throttle cabe (either a CR or CP cable) it's simply too short to connect to the linkage even at the extreme of its adjustment. Obviously you can connect it but this means you have to open the throttle which of course isn't a solution. I've inspected the pedal assembly as I've read that this is a weak point. I can see no immediate signs of damage that would render the cable too short.

This really shouldn't be this difficult should it!! Both the CP (shorter) and CR cables I'm trying to use are brand new. Unfortunately I am unable to compare them to the cable that came out as that had stretched and was subsequently thrown away. The car was previously running on another after-market linkage (not very well) which is why I've switched to the Revington kit.

Thanks for reading the post

Best r

Further to my earlier post I have uploaded a picture of the linkage with the throttle cable connected. The second picture shows how short the cable is in the footwell when you try and connect it to the pedal.

Best Regards, Peter

post-10724-0-65023600-1469729298_thumb.jpg

post-10724-0-49824400-1469729355_thumb.jpg

Peter,

I'd have thought Revingtons should supply a cable that fits their kit.

In the meantime can you shorten the outer cable of one?

Or get one from a bicycle shop the correct length.

Anything non-standard always takes up time...

Peter

May I second Peter's suggestion?

Control cables for throttles and bike (push) brakes are equivalent, and your local pedaller shop will sell you any length for not much, and have a wide selection of ends that will fit your car.

John

John,

The solution was to extend the adjustment on the throttle control arms which allowed the cable to be connected correctly. I still have the 'ratchet' throttle issue which I believe is related to problems with the pedal rather than the throttle linkage.

Regards, Peter

'Ratchet' might be stick/slip within the cable if the bends are too tight. I run spray grease down the cable.

Also try to arrange that at the start of the motion , ie at low throttle openings, the cable is pulling on the throttle lever at approaching a right angle. So that butterfly motion for a given pedal motion is least at the start of pedal action.

http://www.scrigroup.com/files/limba/engleza/technical/75_poze/image018.jpg

Peter