Noise from front left wheel area when turning left

I'm making good progress working through my post-restoration gremlin list but one persistent problem is a scraping/grinding noise coming from the front left wheel. I cant see any obvious interference from the dust shield and if I jack up the front wheel and spin it I dont hear the noise.

Thinking that the wheel bearing may have too much end float I checked it and nipped the nut up an additional flat. That did not change the behavior though and if anything it made things worse.

I'm wondering if I have a bad bearing (new Timken) or is something else wrong with the hub and/or axle ?.

Stan

Here is some video that will give you an idea of what that noise sounds like and also a view of the project on the road.

In this video I turn left into the post office parking lot at 3 mins 20 seconds. I can hear the noise but the car is going too fast for it to be clear on the video. At 3 mins 33 seconds I turn left again to exit the parking lot but I am going slowly and the grating noise is clearer when I turn the wheel hard left.

Stan

Sounds like the dust shield, Stan. Perhaps it's rubbing on compression of the suspension and not noticeable on droop. There might be telltales on the dust shield or what it's interfering with.

PS: At least that's what it sounds like on my iPhone...

Edited by Don H.

Check the inside face of the disc for interference with the trunnion nuts or the split pins on full lock, make sure the lock stops are correctly adjusted and also check the centring of the caliper to the disc and the caliper link pipe clearance.As Don noted it may only be evident when the weight is on the suspension. Oh and when engaging reverse please lift and over and back! Running well BTW.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Check the inside face of the disc for interference with the trunnion nuts or the split pins on full lock, make sure the lock stops are correctly adjusted and also check the centring of the caliper to the disc and the caliper link pipe clearance.As Don noted it may only be evident when the weight is on the suspension. Oh and when engaging reverse please lift and over and back! Running well BTW.

Stuart.

Yesterday I found that I had not set the lock stops so I did take care of that but the noise starts as soon as I start to turn the steering wheel, not just at full lock. I'll have a closer look at the caliper today and if we think this is not a bearing noise I will pull off the dust shield.

The reverse thing is an interesting question. Lifting over the gate is a natural action when you are sitting on the rhs of the gearbox and lifting and pulling towards you. It is an awkward backhand action when sitting on the lhs of the gearbox. My TR6 and this TR3 both go into reverse by just shoving the stick over to the right. Perhaps the gates wear different on LHD cars.

Stan

Thats interesting Stan, i got an A type overdrive all sincro box out of a TR6 from T R Bitz when i was doing my rebuild and i couldn't work out why the reverse gate was worn away on the bottom allowing the leaver to slide straight over to select reverse . So looking at your dilemma i would say it came out of a left hand drive car that had had a lot of use

Graham

I often have to build up the step on selector cups to stop it being too easy to select reverse due to people just smacking it over into reverse!

Stuart.