Reading in the TRaction mag. about some poor.chap getting his car nicked I thought I'd share my experience of a tracker I bought. For about £50 it's a Rewire Security 303, small and unobtrusive and easily hidden. I have it hard wired in but it does have a battery backup. It comes with a PAYG SIM card and works out about £2 a month to run. You can send various text commands to the car and it wil respond back. The text messages sent to your phone give a direct link to google maps so it's easy to keep tabs on the cars position. It gives that extra bit of comfort when leaving the car. For real time tracking it uses GPS and GPRS and should you wish it will also send texts at prieset intervals .

I have no links to them just a satisfied customer.

Beware of cheaper imitations on eBay.

One thing though..... I was looking at my route I'd been on thinking that indicating just under 80 would give about 70. The GPS speed was 97.... I thought it felt s little frantic!

Oh the joys of tired drag cup instruments. I'll keep my satnav as a speed check until I get the speedo overhauled. ;-)

Thanks for posting this Dave. It looks like a well specified bit of kit. The instructions don't make recommendations on where to locate the box so as to get a GPS lock and good cellular coverage. Do you have any advice on that?

A mobile phone works ok in a saloon car! My tracker locates the car in the garage too.

I think it may struggle a bit if you glued it to the underside of the chassis tho' having said that it is waterproof to I think IP66 standard.

Edited by daven

Hi,

I have one of the cheaper ones which I bought from Amazon a while ago. It is small and fits out of site, has its own internal rechargeable battery and has remote antennae for the GPS and cell network. Both of these antennae have leads long enough to give some flexibility as to where you place them. I have a Virgin SIM which was the cheapest tariff I could find at the time, but it does have lots of included texts, which you need as every alert uses a text, and the unit keeps sending texts, if tripped, until you send a text to "stop" it, so you can go through quite a few. You can "fence" an area so if the car moves away from a set area it will alert you. It will also alert you if the ignition is turned on, etc. The make I had also had another model variant which offered a remote control, bump sensors and a siren.

When driven away after not sending a text to 'disarm', your phone starts getting a text every few minutes with the GPS coordinates. You then have to pull up and send a text to shut it up. I'm generally very pleased with it and I feel comfortable leaving the car in a car park for a while...in conjunction with a steering wheel clamp.

• 3 months later...

Very over hyped, limited range (100yds or so) and only works if someone else with the same App on their phone goes past it. Save your money.

Stuart.

I have a TK103B in a lotus elise...no problems with signal cos of plastic body, aerials stuck inside body.

It will control fuel pump via a relay and connect into door switches etc...but I just have it to give me speed warnings and position. You can ping it with a txt message and it sends a google link to its position.

I understand there are 2 chipsets for the TK103Bs and one is distinctly better than the other...not sure how you tell the difference....

but altogether, the TK103 recommended budget option.