MOT - Good News and Bad News

Hello All, MOT today, got me thinking why it causes so much stress and I can only think it is a throwback to the wrecks I owned in my early twenties. Anyway, the good news, flew through the MOT, no advisories, tester very impressed. Also, you cannot put a price on a second pair of eyes, tester old bloke, prodded and poked at everything, and thank goodness he did, the bad news, found a crack in the Trailing Arm. It is only a crack, about an inch long, it is very accessible, on the web attached to the cylindrical part, my question, can it be welded in situ?, thanks in advance, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

This is the normal failure mode for these parts, the crack in the web just by the brake backplate close to the cylindrical section. I have never heard on anyone welding it...but I have also never heard of the crack getting worse [causing a catastrophic failure of the TA]....There must be many cars out there with this crack, but no horror stories of rear wheels coming away...

I found same on mine years ago and chose to replace with some second-hand TAs - I guess you would need to remove the arm to weld it , so you may as well replace if you can find some uncracked ones...

Hi Andrew,

depending on where the crack is will dictate what stresses it is under and its life expectancy.

I found a crack on mine (and I think I know how I did it). I drilled a 1/8" hole in the end of the crack - this removes the crack tip stresses and stops propagation (one hopes) I then bolted a steel strap across the back of it - belt and braces.

After two years there is no propagation. I do have a spare handy and I do check the TA every time the wheel is off.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I was told by a MOT tester friend of mine that welded repairs to suspension parts was not allowed and a failure. However having said that my TR never failed with the attached T/ Arm fitted. Now replaced as it made me a bit nervous whenever I looked at it.

post-11345-0-30220800-1463561857_thumb.jpgpost-11345-0-51677300-1463561919_thumb.jpg

Alan, that weld is magnificent! What the hell happened to that TA that resulted in that fix???!

The TR is an USA car it took a hit on the LH rear corner over there at some point judging by the state of the rear wing under about a ton of filler. Some damage to the boot floor so it was relatively severe. The T/ Arm is RH so guessing it was pushed into the kerb or such.

Alan.