Wire wheel thread size

I have a TR2 with fitted wire wheels, one wheel has a damaged thread, making the hub nut tight to fit.

I know they are opposite hand threads, on either side, but has anyone found a good way to dress up the thread?

Its a rear nearside thread giving trouble, on a British car.

Chris

8tpi I think Do not know what form it is though.

Try a 3 sided file or a proper thread file

or this thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-Imperial-Screw-Bolt-Thread-Repair-Restoring-File-UNF-UNC-BSF-BSW-/262380245454

Peter W

Chris

I still have the old hub extensions underneath my lathe, if one of them if any use to you, let me know which thread, left or right and I can send you one for the cost of the postage only.

Just a thought, is the spinner nut thread O.K. as maybe that is the problem not the extension. Try the other nut on the same side to ascertain which is the faulty part.

Dave

Chris

I still have the old hub extensions underneath my lathe, if one of them if any use to you, let me know which thread, left or right and I can send you one for the cost of the postage only.

Just a thought, is the spinner nut thread O.K. as maybe that is the problem not the extension. Try the other nut on the same side to ascertain which is the faulty part.

Dave

TR2 has them as a complete hub not a separate extension Dave.

I would have thought the type of thread file as pointed out by Peter W would work well for that as its a large thread form.

Stuart.

Thanks for replys, I have sent for a Thread file as suggested, tried several nuts and its the thread on axle thats at fault. These seem to be in short supply, as only seen a front one for sale, and its not the same part number as the faulty rear one.

Chris

TR2 has them as a complete hub not a separate extension Dave.

I would have thought the type of thread file as pointed out by Peter W would work well for that as its a large thread form.

Stuart.

Stuart

You learn something new every day - thanks for that.

What I learnt yesterday is that the R&P has to be released from it´s U bolts and raised slightly, to get the timing casing out and back in again.

Dave