Spin on oil filter adaptor problems

Does anyone who has a spin-on adaptor know if the central retaining bolt has a continuous thread. My one seems to have a 1cm gap in the thread 2/3 the way along the bolt - I'm wondering if this is the root of the problem.

Thanks

Edited by DRD

just a thowt as to why ye could no get it to seal.

was the thru bolt actually tightening the thingy up,

OR, was the bolt bottomed oot, so actually the adaptor was still slack.

some engines the threaded bit is moer or less than others

so maybe worth a check

also, some of the actuall blocks are diff too,and the threaded boss sits deeper into the block than others which are flush wid the block

Last engine I did, boss was level, olde one was setin { red engine }

so to git me MK1 adaptor to fit, the boss had to be ground back.

Ohhh, quick queery, If ye no what yer dooing, then whats the problem it no working, :(:unsure::)

most odd statement,

M

post-12368-0-05373500-1458907716_thumb.jpg

post-12368-0-17467900-1458907755_thumb.jpg

Edited by GT6M

Ohhh, quick queery, If ye no what yer dooing, then whats the problem it no working, :(:unsure::)

most odd statement,

M

Hahahahahaha :lol:

Does anyone who has a spin-on adaptor know if the central retaining bolt has a continuous thread. My one seems to have a 1cm gap in the thread 2/3 the way along the bolt - I'm wondering if this is the root of the problem.

See attached picture, the puka Mocol one also has this gap but on it is a floating flange that ensures that there is always a gap between the boss and the adaptor to allow sufficient oil flow. As GT6M said do a probe on the boss on the block and ensure that there is sufficient thread depth to take the bolt length protruding from the sprung flange (+ a bit) .

post-12405-0-70348800-1458948458_thumb.jpg

hi, i have a mocal spin on and tried it a couple of times and been leaking badly. Thought centre bolt was bottoming out, but will have another look. had spare standard filters so just bolted old filter housing back on and forgot about it.

Is definitely easier with a spin on filter so going to investigate further.

Good post, got me thinking!