Which new Vinyl TR4A hood ?

Just finishing putting my TR4A back together, and it needs a new hood

I think simple black vinyl rather than colour or mohair

What is the best quality hood given that i am going to fit it myself?

I would appreciate opinions

Sort of mirror mirror on the wall who makes the fairest hood of all?

Marine grade vinyl from boat upholstery shops is the best quality you can get. Probably not available off-the-rack so you'll have to get it made,...for a price. I had one made here for an Austin Healey Sprite and oddly enough the most expensive was the plastic windows, not the vinyl.

Edited by Geko

Not knowing there were many choices I bought mine from Moss.

Had a bit of fun fitting it, but ended up with a good result.

The hard top fitted OK after the refurb with the original winscreen position.

To fit the new soft top I had to pull the windscreen back as far as I possibly could.

The soft top didn't fit at first. I stretched it in the Canberra summer sun with weights on it, and heated it with my heat gun for the first successful fit. Needed the odd nourishment break to get success.

At first the front bit that goes under the chrome metal "keeper" bit was hard to get in far enough, which made getting the back bolts in a challenge.

However after a few fittings the material stretches a bit# and the process becomes fairly straightforward without any dramas or special stretching needs.

I keep the soft top in the boot during summer for sudden weather changes, but fit the hard top in winter to keep Mrs LJ happy.

# the front section that goes under the chrome strip gradually goes further and further under the strip, as the material flattens with each fitting.

Thanks for the advice:

Spoke to Don Hoods to find out what is included in the order

It appears that the "Hood premium quality vinyl" with out zip is £200 and that includes the fastenings but not the webbing which is £4 per meter, which has to be separately specified - also if you want the webbing looped as in the original that has to be requested.

Next question: The frame - once the old rivets are drilled out do you get it dipped/stripped and repainted or just wire brush it and spray it with rattle cans?

As you can see from my questions this is new to me

Thanks for your on going (and tolerant) help

Regards

Michael

The frame - once the old rivets are drilled out do you get it dipped/stripped and repainted or just wire brush it and spray it with rattle cans?

The frame is subject to intense wear and rubbing. Power coating is a must, IMO

I rubbed mine down and rattled it with Hammerite. It lasted me 13 years until I moved the car on and was still in good nick. My reasoning is that you have to watch powder coating items that have lots of hinges, they're a pain to mask for powder coating but a paint finish is less prone to making the joints stiff. YMMV of course.

If you're able it's worth specifying a black colour for the inside of the hood as it's much less prone to showing marks - but then I'm pretty messy.

Edited by peejay4A