1964 TR4 advice required

Help I need a bit of advice I have a 1964 tr4, I am fitting a soft top to the car for the first time, I have bought a hood frame and hood off a fellow member and the chrome trim, hood fasteners, hood frame to body mounts off rimmers, my question is the 3 chrome trim pieces that go round the back of the cockpit is this just held in place by the hood fastener screws or is it glued or sealed in anyway, thank you Mark.

On my car they mount straight to body (no bits of rubber or anything) and are held by the screws of the hood fastening posts. They just screw into the bodywork and you might find you need some additional clips on the inside to screw into depending on how many have been before you. Good luck on fixing the hood, it was much harder for me than I thought it would be. So when I got a new one I had it fitted, took the pros barely a couple of hours. BTW conventionally you need to have the hood warm so it is pliable and stretchy, which might be a trifle difficult just now.

Mike

When you refer to the three pieces of "chrome" trim,

I assume you mean polished ally.

If they are indeed chrome, they will be from a very

early TR4, very rare and rather valuable.

Apart from the normal tricks to stretch a hood tight

(like leaving it in the summer sun for a few hours)

you should also be aware that the two short legs

at the bottom of the hood frame act like a jack, so

you can fit the hood over the frame with the frame

'down' a few inches then, when the hood is fitted

to all fixings, the frame is lifted by straightening

the bottom legs.

(don't try to picture this - you will see what I mean

when you fit the hood frame).

AlanR

Wasn't it Ettore Bugatti who said that a gentleman should have a heated motor house?

Pete

I don't think he was referring to TR drivers!

Mike

Mark

Providing you take your time and are methodical, the hood fitting is not too difficult. Planning it as a warm weather / warm garage job is heartily endorsed.

Be prepared for taking the hood on and off numerous times as you mark ( with chalk , that will brush off later ) the peg positions on the hood material. Working out from the centre to eliminate the creases , aiming for a tight fit because the material will stretch slightly once it has settled. You will need to purchase / borrow from a local club member the Lift a Dot punch.Don't leave home without one.

Bob