Chaps, apologies for all the questions, but I'm ordering bits ahead of putting it back together.

I was going to order new clamps for the shiney new manifold, but then noted that the larger ones appear to have been modified - it appears with washers welded on. Is this so, or are they standard, but just crudely welded ?

Like the RORO, are they a keeper ?

D6121CF2-7D63-4654-A823-457BB7D71764_zps

6BA8BBD8-3482-40A8-90C4-7BD08EE6327F_zps

Edited by McMuttley

Roger/Austin: they might be a post-hoc modification to compensate for the use of a tubular 4/2/1 manifold, some of which have a rather thinner than standard section mounting flange.

Such mods can have the desired effect of creating a deeper reach and thus effectively levelling up the surfaces and clamping the inlet manifold to the exhaust flange.

I know I had to bodge up a 'deepener', to ensure the clamps bit against the Phoenix manifold I now run.

Might still be worth trying these old 'uns.

Cheers,

Tim.

thanks, they widen the contact patch but are no deeper than the ball end ? that said, having looked again, the middle looks to be ground down, maybe to create the 'deepness' ?

The smaller clamp looks standard, but the big one does not.

I modified my clamps to take the shallower Phoenix manifold by drilling & tapping one side of the clamp (at the point where they put pressure on the exhaust manifold) & inserting a screw with a 3mm thick head. In my case I went for M3. that worked out just right.

Bob.

Chaps, apologies for all the questions, but I'm ordering bits ahead of putting it back together.

I was going to order new clamps for the shiney new manifold, but then noted that the larger ones appear to have been modified - it appears with washers welded on. Is this so, or are they standard, but just crudely welded ?

Like the RORO, are they a keeper ?

As soon as you start mixing original and non oem parts, you invariable find that you have to start modifying original parts to make everything work. When everything is perfect (well as perfect as anything from the factory was) exhaust clamps of this sort just about do the job and make allowances for factory imperfections. I suspect the PO found that in fitting the extractor manifold that the clamping action wasn't good enough and had either inlet or exhaust port leaks (or both) and so modified the clamps. I know I have had to do similar mods to get everything sealed.

Now that your changing something, you may find that new repro ones will work fine, the old ones are still perfect, or you need to create a new modification to get a good seal. Unfortunately its hard to tell, until you have it all assembled and running, thats when the cussing starts :-)

Alan