Some time ago I made a note of a reply from Stuart about Bondaprimer.

Basically use 60:40 primer to gun wash, and two light coats, you can then use anything you like on top,

Is this correct and does this mix replace etch primer on bare metal, or is an etch still needed?

Cheers,

John.

Well thanks chaps,

I have no chance of reading the wording on the side of my tin, way too many drips.

I thought up to 10% was the manufacturers recommendation but I think that would be way to thick for spraying, my memory tells me that Stuarts mix, was one he had settled on over the years, and if that is correct then it will be good enough for me.

I used the term gun wash, as simply the cheapest cellulose thinners.

John.

FWIW Bondarust has been re-formulated now and is considerably thinner than it used to be, in its original form you could happily thin it up to about 40% and that was perfect especially for brackets and small parts being painted black as you could give it a quick dry coat and then go straight over with the black but since the re-formulation the mix is now 10% thinners only and in fact a lot of the time I now tend to use it neat or with just a splash of thinners. Be careful using gunwash as it often has water in it. So use Standard thinners.

Stuart.