I know Peter W has one, but anyone else any experience of Bastuck exhausts.

The reason is that they do a 'sports' extractor and twin box system for the 3a that has a constant dia (rather than a Phoenix then step down to standard twin box that seems to the be the only UK retail option?)

....and its way way cheaper than in M......

I am not sure if the step down is an issue, but I just like the idea of a constant dia ?

Cheers

The obvious difference between phoenix (bottom pics) and bastuck (top pics) is that with the latter, the collector is placed in the downward part of the extractor pipes.

That would seem to make the bastuck version lighter - but not sure if the slightly earlier collector would have any effect on exhaust gas flow ?

3B7061E7-570E-4A0B-A5E2-F39288152FDF_zps

The obvious difference between phoenix (bottom pics) and bastuck (top pics) is that with the latter, the collector is placed in the downward part of the extractor pipes.

That would seem to make the bastuck version lighter - but not sure if the slightly earlier collector would have any effect on exhaust gas flow ?

IMHO (and others may disagee) on the average tuned road going engine its unlikely you would ever notice any difference between the two. However spending more money does always make one feel that the car is going better :)

difficult to tell without the two side by side, but if anything it should have less pipework volume in the relevant area

(the sooner your bomb blows up the better !)

Is this a Bastuck too?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171389592127?item=171389592127&rmvSB=true

I'm very curious because it so closely resembles the GOODPARTS 6-pot manifold which has been performance tested, only it's stainless. Doubts arise about its primary lengths however, and apparently this matters a very great deal which seems to be why the Phoenix version of this didn't deliver like the GOODPARTS one. Anyone have one of them?

Cheers,

Tom

Tom, a link to zee bastuck site, if it don't work, the part number for a 6-pot is

A291atr

http://www.bastuck.de/00reloaded/media/pict/FGG_1030920000.png

On the bastuck site it is 452 euro before posting - no idea how many dollars that gets you ?

difficult to tell without the two side by side, but if anything it should have less pipework volume in the relevant area

(the sooner your bomb blows up the better !)

Why's that, its given 3 decades of very good service since it was rebuilt!

Out of interest does the Bastuck version allow use of the "Bomb" starter? With the collector being higher.........

Yes, plus the starter motor did not need removing to fit the manifold. Meaning also the starter will come out without having to remove the exhaust.

Peter W

PS The risk for us Brits buying from LHD car areas is that the makers may not have considered if the steering will be in the way. Friend of mine got a stonking deal on 30 A series Sprite LCB tubular manifolds, sold them to the USA and they all came whanging back as the yanks had a steering column in the way, making the things unfitable.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

No idea about performance - never checked it before/after as a lot of other bits got done at the same time.

I chose it for its simplicity to fit compared to the loose bunch of bananas that are also offered. It was not bought as a 'give me power' mod, just a compliment to the other engine mods. It runs into an original style standard 2 silencer PJ Langford stainless exhaust system, and its all nice and quiet.

Fitted one to brother's TR2 with the matching Bastuck sports exhaust as a replacement for a leaky 3 piece tubular manifold with a couple of 'Cherry Bombs'. It did not exhibit any obvious drop in performance post replacement, the large diameter tail pipe is rorty & a bit 'Carlos Fandango', .... and as Glen at Protek remarked - "just the right size for a potato" .

The real bonus was the ease of fitment.

Peter W

Cricky haven't done the potato trick for years. Last time it put good dent in a neighbours garage doors! The old man was less than happy......well he shouldn't have told me how should he!