Paint for steering wheel ?

I'm restoring my original steering wheel and it's all set for painting black. Question is 1/which brand of aerosol paint to use ? 2/ which grain is best (satin or high gloss) and 3/ should there be a different grain for the center and for the wheel itself?

Thanks

I used high gloss Rustoleum paint for plastic which gave a nice finish but it's cold to the touch so I then used a leather kit from eBay, Mr Steering Wheel or something like that and it's much nicer to the touch.

Hi Stef

I have restored a number of Bakalite wheels in the past and use Milliput 2 part putty for the repairs followed by POR 15 in gloss black.

The putty is easy to use and sand and does not crack.

With POR paint, it applies well by brush and levels out to an excellent finish that can, if necessary, be flatted and polished.

I use Gloss for Bakalite but I seem to remember you can buy matt as well.

One tip, buy the small 4oz tin even if you think you will use again later as once opened, no matter how well you seal the tin, it skins over and most of what you have left becomes unuseable.

Cheers

Steve

There are several kinds of POR15 paints.

The super-corrosion-protecting original grade isn't UV stable and needs a topcoat if exposed to light. Without a topcoat it will turn dull and eventually come off.

The POR15 guys make other types that are UV stable and could make a good option for a wheel.

Your right Don

Not at home at the moment so can't remember what variant I use so best to check

Steve