Fuel Tank

Well, the felt strips that the man at Triumph lovingly fitted to BUO's file tank way back in 1972 have finally done their job, in that they have managed to keep the tank wet enough for long enough for it to go rusty……….very rusty not to sure if its gone right through but I think with judicious application of a wire brush we could be there !

Now I know I could get it repaired but using a torch and looking inside the tank, the insides are not much prettier than the outside so thinking of a new one. Looking around Andy Wiltshire seems to be the man although his web site is down at the moment (apparently he exceeded his bandwidth ?) so I will try and contact him in the new year, but one thing I have read is that some people have suggested increasing the size of the outlet, but I've not been able to find out to what size ? ( I am planning to use the 044 Bosch pump)

So can anybody tell me what the size of the standard fitting is and if an increase in size is worthwhile to what?

ATB Graham

Andy's tanks are beautiful and I believe they come with an enlarged outlet as standard, problem is his waiting list and the fact you will need to make a clear plastic boot surround so you can admire his workmanship every time you open the boot!!

kc

Hi Graham.

From when I was messing about with tanks, pump and plumbing, something tells me I seem to recall that Prestige and possibly Revingtons had info about a larger outlet in their web info?

It was something like 1/4" bore to 3/8" which should move the fuel a good deal quicker!

Not what was asked but..... I tank sloshed mine (POR15) and is OK so far, think there have been some Ethanol scares with some tank slosh. Reminds me of an incident with my 2000 estate though. I had the tank out of that, and after cleaning it I painted it in Hammerite, assuming that to be petrol proof, as it takes xylene or similar to clean brushes. A day or so later set out in it so Scotland... got to York and could smell petrol.. Think I bought every petrol can in a garage, drained the tank into them, then took the tank out of the boot and arranged the suction feed tube that they have down the filler neck with rags around it and minimal petrol left in the tank, until I could buy something to fix the tank with. I'd opened up a pinhole in the tank cleaning it up, and Hammerite isn't petrol proof, so eventually it ate its way out. To be honest the car was a bit rough then, other trips to Scotland resulted in leaking core plugs and leaking fuel pump diaphragms....

Plus 1 for Andy's tanks. I fitted one last year and went for the slightly larger than standard 50 litre, for me, no modifications required.

The main reason for me changing was the surging of fuel once I hit just under half a tank despite the original tank having some baffling.

I believe the 3 fittings on mine are all 1/2"UNF.

post-11738-0-23200500-1451677287_thumb.jpg

Revington's tank has suited me well for the past 18 months. It fitted fine first time.

Andy's work is excellent but the 6 month wait was too long, but he has many satisfied customers here.

Malcolm at Prestige injection sells a larger outllet adaptor that fits the existing tank outlet perfectly and is meant to help the Boasch set up, particulalry as your tank runs low.

Finally a 044 pump will consume lots of current and, unless you have a race engine, I think you can use a smaller pump - a Sytec OPT020 (which is meant to be a Bosch 909 equivalent) - would provide sufficient fuel/ pressure and use about 8amps instead of c12. In either case the peopl on here usually recommend installing a new feed to the pump controlled by a relay plus a crash cut off.

Snowy