tr4-5 body shell difference

Hi all

Have been looking at tr5 adverts, I was wondering what differences there are between the 4 - 4a shell and the 5, I believe the b posts are different is that to do with the position of the locks? Also some seem to have interior door trim to the top of the doors with a recess for pulling the door shut like some 6"s I have seen and others have similar to my 4 with the body colour visible, is this just a piece of trim missing ?

Cheers Phil...

There are a number of differences, starting at the front the bonnet inner front pressing badge hole cutouts and the skin piercings,the front panel has an additional earth tag and extra wiring tags under the centre rail and an opening in the centre behind the bumper. The inner front wheel arches have the TR4/4A horn mounting boxes deleted and different provision for the front panel support bars and the radiator support brackets.The right hand inner wheel arch has the flattened rear from the 4/4a deleted and has a half depression in the side of the arch for the intake plenum. The left hand inner wheel arch has a flattened area to the rear side of it which was originally designed for the fuel pump mounting. The inner front wings have different captive nuts for fuse boxes etc and the addition of a lifting eye provision. Also at the rear of the left hand inner wing is a bracket for the O/drive relay. The bulkhead has detail differences in the plenum with the fresh air outlets being deleted and another earth tag added next to the right hand side of the battery area and on the left hand side of the battery area there is a small raised plinth for the throttle cable on left hand drive PI cars. The Right hand (depending on left or right hand drive) toe board has a different piercing for the servo and the mounting holes for the servo and the foot well top has provision for the clutch master cylinder mounting along with the additional holes for the pedal set mounting bolts and the throttle cable. The left hand toe board has piercings for the wiring loom and the washer bottle captives. The centre lower section of the bulkhead above the gear box has an extra piercing for the rev counter cable. The doors have different mountings for the window winders and for the separate door lock barrels. The rear of the door shell has different piercings for the revised door locks and has lost the captives from the earlier cars anti burst tongues. The Rear of the plenum has a couple of extra long tags for the different fresh air tube supports. The front scuttle top has a cutout for the ashtray. The rear of the inner sills have a different shaped strengthener to the "B" post and the "B" post itself has different captives for the striker plate and has also lost the captives for the female portion of the earlier anti burst mechanism.

The rear parcel shelf has two extra re-enforced mounting points for the extra body mounts on the spring bridge and has revised holes for the fuel outlet and return pipes . There is a bracket on the left hand side pannier panel for the mounting of the fuel filter and a hole in the front top of the raised area for the fuel pump leak off pipe and the left hand rear wheel arch has 3 holes for the fuel pump mounting. The rear wings have extra piercings for the side marker lights and the side badges. The boot lid has different piercings for the rear badges.

Obviously the chassis is different as well. ;)

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Buqqer, I don't think there's much chance of a TR4a body and 6 cylinder engine bitsa getting past Stuart !

Unfortunately unless somebody else has had Stuart or somebody with the similar level of knowledge (unlikely) review their TR5 purchase, it's well possible they could have paid top whack for a marriage of parts rather TOO extensive to be excused by the "I had to use TR4a inner wings" rational !

Mick Richards

Buqqer, I don't think there's much chance of a TR4a body and 6 cylinder engine bitsa getting past Stuart !

Unfortunately unless somebody else has had Stuart or somebody with the similar level of knowledge (unlikely) review their TR5 purchase, it's well possible they could have paid top whack for a marriage of parts rather TOO extensive to be excused by the "I had to use TR4a inner wings" rational !

Mick Richards

Mick

There are more than you know who spot the signs ;) but Stuart is on the money, as I have said before a fool and his money are soon parted.

Mick

There are more than you know who spot the signs ;) but Stuart is on the money, as I have said before a fool and his money are soon parted.

But unlike many, Stuart is prepared to share the 'secrets' for the greater good.

Thanks Stuart.