Quick question. What make & type of spark plugs are mainly used.  When I cross reference the original L10S you seem to be able to go all over the place with types and numbers. Recommendations gratefully received.

Nigel (with TS952 - the bodyshop people are coming next week to look at my work - and probably laugh!!- and to see what they have to do. So she WILL be on the road this year).

I have concluded that there is no plug that is always suitable as in the days when there was 4 star. The answer is to use trial and error to find which temperature range suits your engine and tuning level. When you have got it right one year, it will magically change over a period of in activity in the winter.
Guest Lou Metelko

Nigel:

Spark plugs --

Bosch -  WR7BP -  getting hard to find but very foul resistant

Champion  -  L87YC  - old reliable available everywhere

NGK  -  BP6HS  -  my personal choice by experience

Lou Metelko  (with TS981L)

Auburn, Indiana

USA

A few years ago I put Beru spark plugs (www. beru. com) in my Triumph Spitfire. What a difference! It was like installing electronic ignition, only for much less money: less use of the chocke, better starting, more pulling power (low revs.).

My TR3A came without spark plugs when I bought the car. Well, one of the first things I bought: 4 Berus!

There's a lot of technial information on the Beru website and there's a special old-timer PDF where you can look up what they think is best for your car.  

Menno

Thanks Lou and Menno, set of BP6HS on their way, courtesy of ebay all for £5.00 inc. postage. They were listed under Skoda parts!!!.  Beru don't do a listing for early TR's but I am sure they would come up with something if contacted. B7HS also on their way via a friend in Cornwall as had them in a drawer so should be set up now

Cheers - Nigel

Mmm, I think that's bad and not German-like (punctual as they are). Even worse when there's a page on their website to ask for dealer addresses all over world!

But, perhaps there's a solution: some guys I spoke about spark plugs agreed with me on the quality of the Berus, but they also mentioned Bosch Super 4 spark plugs. They seem to be as good as the Berus (but not as cheap overhere in Holland).

Try www.bosch.com

And yes, they have an Australian website.

Then there's also a new player on the market: Brisk (www.brisk.de). They produce mainly for motorcycle engines, but there are also major car brands on their list.

A friend of mine owns a Austrian KTM supermotard bike. It was his intention of tuning the bike with all kinds of expensive aftermarket stuff. He ended up with nothing more than the Brisk spark plug: (much) more power, less fuel, better starting.

I don't know if this is the thing for our Triumphs, but perhaps it's worth investigating.

Menno

A few years ago I put Beru spark plugs (www. beru. com) in my Triumph Spitfire. What a difference! It was like installing electronic ignition, only for much less money: less use of the chocke, better starting, more pulling power (low revs.).

This can mean 2 things : Beru sparks are good and/or the old sparks in the Spitfire have been too long in it.

Some time ago, I had to look after a Mazda MX5 because it was pulling badly  when accelerating, with missing beats etc.

I had been looking in the Haynes Manual for possible causes, but the car needed only new spark plugs to cure the problems. The old spark plugs had been in the car for 35000 or 75000 kms.

Just a quick one: I have NGK's BPR5HS in mine. So far I could not find them at any known supplier. Any ideas or advise as I need a spare set.

Thanks, Rudi

Rudi, NGK BP6HS are right for your car, they are advised already in this topic. BP5 are a little hotter. I suppose the R means resistor? In racing, most people use NGK BP7HS or BP6HS

Before I put the Berus in, there were NGK's in my Spitfire's engine. I used them for about 10000 kms., so I think that they were not too old.

I bought them together with new carbs. for my Spit and had the car set up on a rolling road (So I'm quite certain that I had the right NGKs for my Spit).

Anyway, I think that Berus are better than the NGKs. But I suppose that they are useful examples of modern technology for older cars. We also put electronic ignition and modern fans in our Triumphs (and they benefit from these new products!)

Menno

I did some cross checking on a current NGK catalogue. I think these would work in the 4 cylinder Tr engines.

NGK Platinum B6HVX

NGK Iridium BR6HIX

They will of course be expensive but are supposed to last a bloody long time, like 50,000k's.

Mychael

Lou Metelko mentioned NGK BP6HS as his personel choice : a lot of people seems to use these type of spark plugs, especially for fast road and rally cars. Perhaps in the long run they are not a lot more expensive than other makes?

Recently I paid 48 euro for 6 NGK plugs though (not for a Triumph)

The BP6HS is not an expensive plug. I run them or sometimes the 5's which are a little hotter as my old motor runs a bit oily.

Those other plugs I mentioned are expensive like $20 Australian each.

I spoke to an Alfa Romeo dealership and they do indeed carry Golden Lodge plugs but could not find a correct replacement for the TR's.

However if anyone has a Golden Lodge plug number that they use then please let me know.

Mychael