TR2 body dimensions drawing

Hi all

I am going to embark on the rebuild of a very late TR2 comission TS8442 reg YPF427. The previous owner ( who had owned the car since 1968 ) had started the body repairs after a rear end shunt. Unfortunatley the project was abondoned after verious body parts had been removed. The remaining body is very rusty ( hence the nickname disprin) and needs a total rebuild. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram with the body alignment measurements on it ?

As an aside if anyone knows the history of the car before 1968 I would be interested in hearing from them. The green log book states the car was first registered on 26th Oct 1955.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

don't know about a diagramm, but i think it is not too complicated.

Depending on what is left of the body:

I suggest to use the frame as a jig: The mounting frames for the rear dampers are very short under the raising of the rear floor. Add a new boot floor (for example, i guess you will have to) plus rear wheel compartement. In the corner of the rear wheel compartement to the rear apron  you will have to fit a "bracket", this is the rear mounting point to the frame.

Before welding the rear apron check the length of the opening for the boot lid (this cannot be corrected later on, so thats the inportant one - mine is 1/4" too short now...). Us e the boot lid as a kind of jig to get the opening rectangular.

With the rear apron as a landmark you can add the outer parts of the boot floor, rear quarter panels. The rear wings are only related to the inner rear wings and the rear apron. Their design allows some flexibility..

I could had to remove boot floor and rear apron as well, even without accidental damage...just some rust. If some pic' scould help you, tell me

Good luck

Alan

If you can get yourself a copy of the original "TR2 Service Instruction Manual" you will find all the dimensions of the chassis on page 1 of Section J - "Frame Unit". It provides you with an A3 (approx) pull out diagram of the chassis with measurements. There are also diagonal measurements for checking chassis squareness, twist, cradling and bowing.

I do have a second copy but it will cost a small fortune to get it to you! But if you have no luck let me know and I'll scan the sections for you (albeit in 2 x A4 sections for the diagram).

Regards

Andrew

Some kind people have scanned in various TR books and made them available on the net as pdf's.

This site has the TR2-3 service manual as a 113MB pdf, quite big, but very good quality scans!

http://iai.eivd.ch/users/fwi/cars/free_downloads.html

The triumph service bulletins:

http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/bulletins.html

SU Tuning, and "TR maintenance modification & tuning" (Maclay) amongst others:

http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/download.html

Enjoy!