Kenlowe, pacet or scrapyard?

Guest GDalzell

Guest GDalzell

I'm getting conflicting adivce on the best electric fan (from a performance and cost point of view).

It's a 2138 engine with a fast road cam and head and full performance of the car will be used. It's not likely to be used in very hot climates (Scotland)  but it could get stuck in the occasional traffic jam. The rear of the bonnet will be raised a little to allow increased air flow.

The "ultimate" engine builders seem to favour the Pacet fans but to my knowledge, the Kenlowes have behaved reliably on tuned TRs for many years. They would also appear to have brought out improved mdels recently. A third cheaper option would be one from a scrap yard. Those up here won't have seen that much service. What are your thoughts and experience?

Regards GD

Personally Graham, I've used Kenlowes for the last 25-30 years and never had a problem, but Pacet seem to have a very reputation as well.   There are also plenty of good fans/motors in scrap-yards, don't know if +ve Earth could cause any problems.   You pays your money and takes your chance!!
I used a scrapyard Citroen BX16 fan in my TR4A and its been there for 5 years without any problem, cost £15.  It is fixed in its own plastic shroud that makes mounting easier and also directs the air more efficiently.

\Do you have a dynamo or alternator?

Dynamo = try sorting your engine and use the original fan

Alternator = you can use an electric fan

That's my personal opinion anyways, after being stuck on the side of the road out of London for two hours waiting for a recovery truck because I ran out of battery power in a traffic jamb at night...  a similar thing would have happened on the way to Dover if it hadn't been down hill!

Admitadly since then my dynamo has been re-built, my engine has been re-built, i've fitted a modern (but positive earth) starter motor, and you can (argh!) buy an alternator that looks like a dynamo!

Like I say, personal opinion, each to his own... etc...

Graham

I've tried both a scrapyard fan and a Kenlow in my 6, both worked fine, the only reason I ended up with a Kenlow was the scrapyard one on a home made bracket looked a bit 'Heath Robinson' though I think if you spend a bit of time searching, a better fitting one would be available.

I think Clive's got a good point, a dynamo might struggle to keep up with either fan unless it only runs for short intervals.

I don't know if it's relevant to the 4 cyl engine as well but the fan on mine very rarely cuts in and then only for a couple of minutes.

Ron

On my six I have a kenlowe fan. Works perfect and as soon as the fan comes in the temp (at the gauge) goes down untill the thermoswitch cuts out. On my 3 (with tuned engine) I have bought another fan from a well known (motorsport) TR supplier. I don't think it is a pacet one, I guess 9 inch wide, but I have to check both. What happens now is that the water temp does not go down when the fan starts (control switch at 87 degrC in a SS pipe and identical to my six) and in trafficjam and summer temp. the coolant temp raises just below boiling (at the gauge) but does not raise further. In a jam the fan is not able to bring the temp down to automatic cut out. The reason is not clear: Is the fan inferior to a Kenlowe one, does it not have enough "power" to cool or is my rad not efficient enough (shroud in place). So far this has not brought me in real trouble but it sometimes "gets somewhat on my nerves". I know Kenlowe has fans with diff. efficienty for the same size. I guess trial and error, as usual, will bring the answer. Unfort. this is not the most cost effective way in getting answers. To me, when properly installed, they all are reliable from electrical point of view. But make sure you install an overrider switch in case the thermostatic switch fails, and that might happen I can assure you.

Regards, Rudi

Rudi,

I think a 9" fan is probably too small for a 4 cylinder. My tuned 4A has a 16" Pacet fan on the front of the radiator.

Graeme

Not a Pacet or Kenlowe brand but in size I use  a 12inch, almost full width of the radiator on my 3A. It's winter here and as soon as I turn the fan on (full manual control) I see it bring the temp down on the gauge.

Mychael

Guest GDalzell

All,

Thanks for your comments. I will be fitting a 65 amp alternator and have to fit the fan because of the rack and pinion converison. I think that a first chat at the scrapyard would be a good idea.

Regards Graham

Hi Graham, if you're intending to fit 65A alternator, you must upgrade wiring between alternator and battery with cable heavy enough to take the higher current.   You will also need to significantly up-rate Ammeter or fit a Voltmeter (the better and safer option, IMO).   You occasionally see 60A Ammeters come up for sale, but although a much later introduction, a Voltmeter is a better bet.
Hi Rudi, just read through your posting above, I know I'm trying to teach Granny to suck eggs, but is the 9" fan mounted in front of or behind radiator, and is it wired correctly (negative or positive earth) to move air back through radiator or against the natural air-flow, and does the frame of it affect the natural air-flow.
good question jonlar, but in this case I can assure you that it is installed properly. It is a sucker and neg earth alternator is 55amp/hr.
I have had a kenlowe for over twenty years and they are perfect.Mine is mounted in front of the radiator on brackets supplied by Kenlowe. The company is an old established firm trading from thr same premises for many years and would have supplied equipment for the TR range from the word go. It is a part of our motoring inheritance and should be supported. The best answer to my heating problems came when I fitted a new uprated radiator from Chichester Radiators, with more tubes and fins.It still looks the same. The cost was £150 and I never overheat now. I also have ducting and a pressurised expansion tank, that keeps the radiator full up to the top of the neck. Good luck.
What happens now is that the water temp does not go down when the fan starts The reason is not clear: Is the fan inferior to a Kenlowe one, does it not have enough "power"

Is the fan impellor rotating the right way?

Mounted engine side the fan should 'pull' air through the rad.

Mounted grille side the fan should 'push' air through the rad.

If wrong, just switch the fan wires over.

Also is the fan mounted at the bottom or 1/2 way up the rad - if so it will work less efficiently.

Mount the fan as high as it will go up the rad 'higher water to air temperature differential/higher heat transfer'

Unc :D