Min Temp to use Cellulose

15 at bare minimum. Also remembering the damping the air, that will be the deciding factor...

20 degrees personally using high quality anti bloom thinners..

15 at bare minimum. Also remembering the damping the air, that will be the deciding factor...

20 degrees personally using high quality anti bloom thinners..

Theres no such thing as Anti Bloom thinners thats a marketing con. Humidity will make a lot of difference to how low a temperature you can spray it in but if your prepared to do a bit of flatting and your a bit clever with your air/paint ratio and you have good water traps you would be surprised what sort of conditions you can get away with. I have sprayed cellulose successfully at 50F and lower.

Stuart.

+1 for humidity warning!!!

don't heat the space with a gas/paraffin type heater. they produce about the same output of water vapour as they do heat!!

Go electric!!

I also do not like 'fast drying' thinners for top coat!

Stuart, any thoughts??

+1 for humidity warning!!!

don't heat the space with a gas/paraffin type heater. they produce about the same output of water vapour as they do heat!!

Go electric!!

I also do not like 'fast drying' thinners for top coat!

Stuart, any thoughts??

Always use top quality thinners for any paintwork, look on the tin and see that it says 100% pure thinners as some supposed "Top gloss" thinners actually contains Methanol which will give you trouble with drying times between coats and mean it is always soft. Gunwash thinners is usually re-cycled and contains water as well.

If anyone wants a lesson in the proper use and choosing of thinners then talk to Ken of Ken and Lyn paints 07778165966

Stuart.

I've sprayed my chassis today with epoxy primer and to ensure my garage was at least 15C I bought one of these:

http://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-86132.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&showPLA=true&gclid=CJPrj7apx8gCFSsEwwodNwYO1w

It's an infra red heater and it's worked remarkably well. I ran it for an hour or so beforehand to bring up the temperature and then switched it off while I sprayed. I finished the top just before the RWC final and once the air cleared switched it back on. After the match we turned the chassis over and it's ready to do the reverse side tomorrow.

Barry

Stuart..

Could you advise on how long time between layers when spraying with cellulose.

And how many layers.

I am going to respray my TR2 with its original color that was black.

And are going to use cellulose to obtain a paint looking like it did when it once was produced.

Modern paints has a too high gloss i think, i want the "old look" and think i can get there using cellulose.

Göran

Depending on temperature then around 10 to 15 mins between coats and 3 full coats if you want to do it as per original, if you are going for a real top class finish then you could do 2 and then flat with 1200 w/dry and then another couple and do the same and then another 2 and do the same then polish up with Farecla G3 and finish off with 3M final glaze. Or if you are really enterprising then you could do one coat and flat and polish every day for a week. :)

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Thanks Stuart!

I think that 3 full coats will do for a start. And a polish..

And if i would be unsatisfied with that finish later on, i guess i could then go over with the 1200 w/dry and put on a couple of additional coats.

Am i right there?

Göran

Thanks Stuart!

I think that 3 full coats will do for a start. And a polish..

And if i would be unsatisfied with that finish later on, i guess i could then go over with the 1200 w/dry and put on a couple of additional coats.

Am i right there?

Göran

Yes that is the beauty of cellulose that it will blend into previously applied coats.

Stuart.

It seems to be around 10 old layers of paint... what is the best isolator before putting on cellulosa?

Personally with that amount on there I would remove it as otherwise you may well get problems with shrinkage/reaction. 2K primer or 2K lacquer isolates pretty well.

Stuart.

Since the car has had some bends all around, there is a lot of filler on it.

The job is well done so i would prefer to keep it and go for a isolator first.

Someone told me that epoxy-primer also would do the isolation job. Is that correct?

Hi Goran,

Having finished the chassis I've now started on the body tub. The epoxy primer is supposed to give good isolation for any top coat that you follow up with. I can recommend the following website as a good source of information:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/

Based on recommendations in the paint section of the forum I have used Lechlar epoxy and I can confirm it's fairly easy to use and gives a good finish. Also, you don't need an air fed mask to spray it safely. I used a Gerson mask as recommened on the mig welding forum.

Good luck,

Barry

post-12172-0-72478500-1446916408_thumb.jpg

post-12172-0-64249700-1446916436_thumb.jpg

post-12172-0-22516900-1446916457_thumb.jpg

Since the car has had some bends all around, there is a lot of filler on it.

The job is well done so i would prefer to keep it and go for a isolator first.

Someone told me that epoxy-primer also would do the isolation job. Is that correct?

Your choice but with that amount of paint you will more than likely get cracking problems from shrinkage further down the line if you dont.

Stuart.