Dating Evidence for Registration of TR4 Imported from Australia

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, and new to the TR world.

I just sent e-mail to the TR4 Registrar (via the TR Registry site), but thought I'd also post here in the search for advice (please!).

I purchased my first TR back in December, which I purchased in Australia whilst visiting my family for Xmas.

The vehicle was mid-way through a restoration, which was started by the previous owner in the early 1990’s, but sadly it was never finished.

I am originally from Australia, but live here in Manchester.

I imported the TR4 to the UK in July 2015, and the vehicle has been at TR Bitz since arriving in UK, getting all required work performed to get it back on the road. The vehicle passed it’s MOT a couple of weeks ago – and I then completed all the paperwork required for registration, and sent this off to the DVLA.

Just today I’ve received my application to the DVLA back in the mail. They rejected it based on;

· You have not provided sufficient evidence of your vehicle’s date of manufacture.

I did include a copy of the Heritage certificate for the vehicle with my application, which shows the date of build as 2 August 1962; however obviously this certificate from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust is not acceptable? I've read on some other topics on this website that others have had this issue in the past also?......but not sure what the answer is.

The TR Register is on the approved list of Vehicle Owners Clubs, and I am assuming from the DVLA letter, that a dating certificate letter from the TR Register will satisfy the DVLA?

I’d greatly appreciate any advice or assistance from those who are experienced in this matter.

Thanks guys!

Grant.

post-13258-0-50131100-1445719328_thumb.jpg

Hi Grant,

Welcome to the forum.

I suspect the problem with your application centres around your inclusion of a copy of the Heritage Trace and not the original document.

I'm sure that others on here will comment , but I am sure I have recently read on this Forum that the DVLA insist on original documents.

Good luck,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi Grant,

I have had both copies (including the full version with gold seal) of my Heritage Certificate rejected by the DVLA and they now want to send someone from SGS to inspect the car. I spoke to Bill Piggott about this and he advised DVLA should be accepting BMIHT certificates......sadly no.

Just wondered what happened with your application?

Colt

Hi Colt,

Just sent you a private message.

Dating letter from TR Register was the piece of info that did the trick.

I received V5 a month or so ago. Have only driven twice since then....first TR driving experience.....& I love it!

Busy tinkering away at weekends now.....waiting for weather to improve next year.

We'll be out & about plenty in the car next year!

Regards,

Grant.

Hi Colt,

The current DVLA requirements are a Heritage certificate (or the relevant page from Glass's chequebook) PLUS a dating letter from the TR Register. They seem to be inspecting all applications (via SGS) at the moment. Unfortunately not all the frontline staff are fully conversant with this.

Let me know if you need any help.

Mike

I'm just about to get send off for my V5 to be changed on my TR3 from 1960 (date it was registered in the US) to 1959 (date it was actually manufactured).

I have the Glasses page sent by Mike, plus the heritage certificate. How would I go about getting a dating letter from the register? The chassis no. is TS63686LO and it looks from Glasses to be late 1959 (confirmed by the heritage certificate which states it was exported to Taiwan in December 1959).

Thanks

Richard

Hi Mike,I am just about to apply for my first registration on my US imported TR4a, so I guess I will need this letter as well. Can you advise me on the process here? I have the Heritage cert.

Ray