Brackets for the leather straps in the spare tire cubby

Thanks guys. Tom, it took us weeks to straighten the cubby door and it is still not 100%. 50+ years of stuff banging around in that cubby have taken their toll. Boot lid had a similar problem but it gets final paint today so I'll do the brackets at the same time.

Stan

Stan, here are some images from my "originality" files. They were taken of TCF56L before the unrestored car was sold by its second owner a few years ago. Trouble is, there had been bodywork done on that corner of the car in-period, and there's a lot of overspray. None of my other originality files are any better -- including those of my own car. You be the judge. Really big files for detail if you click on 'em.

i-cPvm3g8.jpg

i-VT4fXb5.jpg

Twenty six years ago, I installed the holding brackets after they were repainted. But I never installed the new straps which I had bought.

The strap on the right side was intended to hold the lug wrench and the jack. All that happened in the first 80,300 miles in the life of TS 27489 LO was that they banged around, made crashing noises and took the paint off the inside of the boot a well as off the tools.

The TRA judging standard does not require you to remove the spare tire lid so I never lost any judging points because the straps were not installed.

As for the tools, I wrap then in an old towel and place them in the center of the spare wheel rim which acts as a large deep dish.

I never had the tyre bang around because with Vredestein 165 SR 15 tyres, there is no vertical space for the tyre to bang around. In fact it's so tight in the spare wheel compartment that I have a healthy and sturdy leather belt that I leave behind the tyre. If I want to pull out the tyre, I have to pull on the two ends of this sturdy leather belt that's about 5 or 6 feet long.

Unless I am missing something they were being very optimistic thinking that you could secure these long and heavy objects with a single leather strap at one end.

tr3%20tools_zpspemsq99c.jpg

The (four not three) brackets are now powder blue. Don H's pictures show enough of the original paint to be conclusive.

Stan

The idea was that the tyre would hold the jack/starting handle at the front end as a crossply tyre is much taller than most radials.

Stuart.