commission number

I have just bought a 1973 TR6 registered in march 1973 and it has been colour changed from yellow to Pimento red since 1993 it has a new commission plate on the n/s B post that shows CR1125 DL but the orginal plate that is in a bag with old mot`s from 1993 states CR1125 0 and looks like it was fitted to the n/s inner wing.I know 0 stands for overdrive but what do DL stand for?

PCW64

On CP & CC cars upto 78520, the suffix L indicates LHD.

This according to the TR Registers TR6 check list

Don't know about the D, but, someone on the forum will

Possibly the original 'O' (overdrive) - as opposed to '0' (zero) - has been misread/mis-stamped on the replacement Commission plate... Was it LHD originally ? If so it believe it should have been CR1125 LO... Do you have a Heritage trace that would be able to confirm the original number?

Cheers

Ian

I have just got a Heritage certificate and it says the commission number is CR1125-0 and is a RHD home market car,I have the original commission plate and that says CR1125-0 but the log book and old mot`s from 1983 say`s CP1125 DL,perhaps the person who changed the colour from yellow to red stamped it wrong,and my commission plate is on the n/s B post but originaly it was on the left inner wing and i have seen other 1973 CR cars with the commission plate on the left inner wing so what is the correct place?

I have CR1587-O. Which is mainly an unmolested car. My commission plate is on the nearside B post, but I have two rivets in the nearside front inner wing, where the CP cars had the plate. I wonder if the inner wings still had the two holes for the plate, but after re-positioning them they just put two rivets in.

Its possible that the CR cars that have been restored, people put the plate in the wrong place, on the inner wing instead of the B post,hence why some have them on the inner wing.

Just looking again at my commission plate, I have a ziebart plastic plug that overlaps the plate, which to me shows that the plate is in the original place and has never been moved, the B post is still in its original paint.

Edited by Dave Smith

Hi Dave,Thanks for the reply.it is very interesting as i have 2 rivets in my n/s inner wing and i thought that was were the original plate was placed and someone removed it.As my car was made on 26th Feb perhaps the inner wings were from a batch that were made for CP cars and used them on the early CR cars untill they were used up.Thanks Paul

Gents

Don't know if it helps but, my 6 is a July '74 built, '75 registered car and it has 2 holes in the n/s inner wing, filled with blind rivets.

I believe that the inner wings are original (or, if not, early replacements) as the car was originally Mimmosa Yellow but is now Pimento Red, having had the colour changed about 15 years ago

Looks as though these holes in the inner wing are a standard drilling

Thanks for all the replys,it seems that it is normal to have the 2 rivets in the left inner wing,having just bought the car i was a bit worried that i may have bought a cut & shunt but now all is clear.Thanks Paul