My alternators (3) have each failed after about a years use, a total of 5500 kilometers driven. On a well known suppliers website I saw a new alternator offered from Bosch, then that name disappeared, then the brand name Lucas with the note "new item, be the first to rate it" I ordered it. What arrived today looks exactly like the earlier ones. No manufacturers name, niether Bosch nor Lucas reference anywhere. Each alternator costs about £100 and takes about two hours to install. Now on the vendors site neither brand is mentioned. Anyone else have similiar experience? I have seen on the web alternators that look the same advertised with lifetime guarantee. Any comments or suggestions, thanks, Paul

Paul,

To have so many alternators fail, so quickly, could mean that they were substandard if they were all from the same supplier.

If not, then is there a problem with the installation?

What was the mode of failure?

John

Paul,

Is the engine revving in the "normal" range typically under about 5000 rpm?

Is the temperature where the alternator is mounted "reasonable" ; near the manifolds and behind the radiator could be exceptionally hot.

Some cars have heat shields for the alternator, and if the engine revs high then it is usual to reduce the revs to the alternator.

But just as with people an autopsy is always best to determine the cause of death, do you still have the bodies?

Alan

Maybe a wiring problem is kiling the diodes - assuming the things just fail to charge, and are not flying apart mechanically.

I have a battery isolator swtch on the dash that breaks the live connection for the entire electrics and if I kill that before killing the ignition the diodes often go west - there's nowhere for the alternator output to go. So check out the wiring from alternator to battery, it may not be allowing enough current to flow.

Or better still wait for an electrickery expert to come along.

Peter

Peter,

You need to fit an isolation switch with Alternator protection:

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1621

These problems dont arise with the good old dynamo!

Paul,

I did - it doesn't work. No idea why not. Thanks for the link- I'll investigate further

I stuck a big label on the switch to remind me to switch the key off first. That does work, when I remember to read it.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

As Alan says, temperature could well be the culprit but you have not given much information about the installation Paul. What car do you have - was this a dynamo replacement and if so is it a DIY set up or did you buy a kit? If it is a four cylinder does it have a standard cast iron exhaust manifold or a tubular steel one?

Rob