A friendly reminder to all those with a spin-on oil filter conversion, ALWAYS lubricate the seal of a new filter before fitting.

The attached photo shows an oil filter that just this morning took me 2hrs to remove, 1 x burst oil filter strap, 2 x bent or broken large Philips screwdrivers and skinned knuckles after resorting to the hammer & chisel method. Of course there's no need for such severity with the TR conversion kit, the filter head can be removed from the engine in a matter of minutes and then the filter removed with the help of your bench mounted vise, but save yourself the hassle and lube the seal.

This filter was fitted at the factory some 5yrs ago with a dry seal

post-6267-0-71792400-1436023759_thumb.jpg

5 years ago! Hope no real mileage was involved!

Yes, K & N HP-2009 filter is the one to go for but still lube the sealing ring.

K & N I'm afraid don't make filters for engines of that variety, 15lt Perkins Diesel. The filter was that tight I reckon the nut would have twisted and broken off. If you look again at the photo you'll see my burst filter strap, the fabric is the same material seatbelts are made from, so pretty tough stuff. My point is I see this quite a lot in my job (not always as bad as the above) and always stress to my colleagues the importance of lubing the seal.

No real mileage as such, 80hrs running time, we only change oil upon sample analysis results.