Getting it up . . . the car that is

I know car lifting systems have been covered quite a bit, but as there seems to be many options out there I'm still a bit unsure what would be best for my purposes.

Although I'd love a full two or four post lifting system, I doubt I'd get enough use out of it to justify the expense, plus it would necessitate a massive clear out of my garage to make space. I'm a bit fearful of standard metal ramps and of jack stands, plus they don't really seem to offer flexibility, and so I've narrowed my options to:

1. HYDRAULIC CAR RAMPS 900KG CR01 from CJ Autos - http://www.cjautos.eu/product_p/cr01.htm

2. MINI TILTING CAR LIFT from CJ Autos - http://www.cjautos.eu/MINI_TILTING_CAR_LIFT_p/cl03.htm

It looks to me that the tilting lift gives more flexibility, and of course the option of working with the wheels off, so I think I favour that. Anyone want to comment as to pros and cons?

Thanks, Darren

Probably easier for you to use the search facility and go back though the previous discussions on here about them some of which are on pretty much up to date models of lifts.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi Stuart,

I did a quick search, but had difficulty finding much specifically relating to these "tilt" type lifts. There's plenty on scissor lifts, but I don't think that would be a particularly good option for me. I'll keep searching anyhow.

Darren

The hydraulic car ramps at the end of the day are still a set of car ramps and for me do not realy do it.

Yes an excellent set of ramps but the car is not flat like on a "proper lift" and you are still crawling under the car. Wheels are still on the car.

Cost about £420.

I know two people who have used the tilter job. It is a jack if I remember correctly in that unlike a lift it does not raise then go into a locked mode so the car cannot come back down again like a "lift" in the case of a "lift" you have to unlock the locks to get the vehicle down on the ground.

I believe that the car should be supported by axle stands in addition to the tilter and I suggest you talk to the supplier to confirm this as I may be wrong and they say it locks but I will leave you to talk to them..

There are two versions of the tilter, one of a fixed width £360 and the other has the facility to reduce the width to use on Mini's, Morris Minors, MG Midgets and some older Triumphs. It is a bit dearer £500.

One person reckoned the adjustable unit was a bit lightweiight on the MG Midget BBS. The other person a proffessional mechanic uses one at home to underseal MX5's. He reckons it is great.

If the car is flat you are crawling underneath and you cannot get clear acces to the middle of the car but we are talking less than £500 and you can get all the wheels off so OK for a brake or suspension job but the car is not that high off the ground..

If you use it as a tilted car either back or front you can get in there to clean and underseal a car with the wheels off on either the back or front but remember the possible need for high axle stands again you have to talk to the vendor.

If I was buying one of these units, I would go for the tilter and nearly bought one but in the end it would not pick up the jacking points on our Suzuki Jimny.

As you research shows the "proper" lifts are lots more expensive and need space to store them or they get in the way. These units would hang up on some hooks on the wall.

Not convinced I have helped but there you are.

Edited by Eddie Cairns

Hi Darren,

you could design your own. I knocked up a set a few years ago and they have done well.

The ramps are 15" high + the car clearance = apprx 21"

Each side breaks into four sections and the left part fits into the right part for neater storage.

You can drive up them and they level out or you can drive part way up and then jack the rest..

With a bit of ingenuity you can remove the wheels.

Cost apprx £200

Roger

Thanks Eddie. That was a very helpful overview, which gave me a few more things to think about. I hadn't, for instance, thought about the need for high jack stands. Your overview has also helped me formulate some of the questions I'll ask the vendor.

Hi Roger, Great looking ramps.

Cheers, Darren

I know car lifting systems have been covered quite a bit, but as there seems to be many options out there I'm still a bit unsure what would be best for my purposes.

Although I'd love a full two or four post lifting system, I doubt I'd get enough use out of it to justify the expense, plus it would necessitate a massive clear out of my garage to make space. I'm a bit fearful of standard metal ramps and of jack stands, plus they don't really seem to offer flexibility, and so I've narrowed my options to:

1. HYDRAULIC CAR RAMPS 900KG CR01 from CJ Autos - http://www.cjautos.eu/product_p/cr01.htm

2. MINI TILTING CAR LIFT from CJ Autos - http://www.cjautos.eu/MINI_TILTING_CAR_LIFT_p/cl03.htm

It looks to me that the tilting lift gives more flexibility, and of course the option of working with the wheels off, so I think I favour that. Anyone want to comment as to pros and cons?

Thanks, Darren

Hi Darren

If you have the space fit a 4 poster. Might be a good opportunity to clear the garage, re-organise, discover those bits you knew were there but could never find..I went through this scenario for months and opted for a 4 poster. My space was 5mtr L x 3mtrs wide and a max lift of about 1.2 mtrs. I found a 4 poster from automotech - Ok its more money £1800 delivered, but after all these years of crawling underneath, I thought to hell with it. Get it. and it's great. Best thing I ever did.post-391-0-35307500-1433230155_thumb.jpg

Hi Bill,

Fantastic looking set up you have there. And I agree that the four post lift is the best. I have a double garage that would take it, but I'm aiming to move soon, so that's another reason I don't really want to go down that road yet (as it'll be a pain to move once in place, I'd imagine). Of course, wherever I move to, the garage will be the most important consideration. It'll be a double with room for a large lift, but even then I'm not sure I'll get one, because I'm not sure I'd use it that often. I can't see myself ever getting to the point where I'm doing major work, but who knows. My aim for the moment, is just to get to grips with basic servicing - oil change, coolant change, greasing, etc.

Darren

How to convert a good double garage into a single gargae it seems to me but I'm there as well. In my case how to make a four car garage into a two car garage as the lift is at the back and you need one of the front spaces to drive through.

It is magic being able to work on your car the way you want but economic madness in my case.

garage_zpsvnqwlzjz.jpg

Edited by Eddie Cairns

You chaps with your well-ordered and well-equipped garages are making me jealous. It's not so much the tools, but the fact that you know what to do with them. One day!

Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Darren, I looked at both of these options last year, came to the conclusion as others have said that the hydraulic ramps are just slightly taller ramps (for only one end of the car) and you have to drive onto them one way or the other.

The issue for me with the tilter was that with a single garage, I would never be able to slide it under from the side of the car as seems to be necessary.

(I also had visions of the car snapping in half when lifted up in the middle!)

For now I just truly jack it up onto axle stands if the wheels are coming off, or jack it up onto 4 steel ramps if they are on. (but note my post about putting the ramps under the rear first, front second to stop the car rolling onto you !!!!)

Thanks for your thoughts on this Austin. I was pretty much sold on the tilter option, but you've given me pause for thought. Space is not a concern, as with a bit of junk moving I'll be able to slide the lifter in from the side. But now I'm having the same visions as you about cars snapping in half. Do you reckon that's a genuine possibility? If so, then wouldn't the same risk be there with the four or two post lifts where the wheels are not supported?

Darren