Took the front wheels off the TR6 at the weekend and found uneven tyre wear, both noticeably more worn upon their inside edges, offside a bit worse than near side.

What's the likely cause?

I'll take it and have the tracking etc checked, but thought I'd consult the oracles on here first :-)

Steve

Steve, oh dear, sounds like camber to me, too much negative believe. Tyre is leaning in on the top and out at the bottom. If you look at Buckeye Triumph he shows him how to measure camber with a large set square. No up to the pros equipment but works and sorted out my uneven wear. Should be able to remove shims in the lower from wishbones to bring it closer to standard, whicich I think is about negative 1 degree.

John's post #14 in Roger's link above is definitive.

Doubtful that its camber. I run 11/4 deg negative camber, with parallel toe, and the tyres wear evenly.

Not sure if simply re-toeing will work. Once shouldered, I have been told, a tyre wont wear evenly even if tracking is reset. But I dont know if that is genuine information.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Steve, oh dear, sounds like camber to me, too much negative believe. Tyre is leaning in on the top and out at the bottom. If you look at Buckeye Triumph he shows him how to measure camber with a large set square. No up to the pros equipment but works and sorted out my uneven wear. Should be able to remove shims in the lower from wishbones to bring it closer to standard, whicich I think is about negative 1 degree.

1 deg positive I think is standard. Negative helps cornering for me, with no loss of straight line feel. But it might be a little heavier. Peter

Tracking check first, 4 wheel if you can find somewhere that will do it properly on a 6 Then check camber. I run 1 degree neg with no problems but thats not IRS. Unless you have very heavy neg then like Neil says that wont do it. Have you a lot of speed humps round you Steve?

Stuart.

Thanks again.

I do have quite a few speed bumps, which I do slow down for :-)

My local tyre place is pretty good and very friendly, so will try them first.

I swapped the tyres front to back so have nice new ones on the front now, better get the tracking done before I ruin those!

Steve