Got to sit in the TR3 again after 4 years

I have a number of small tasks that need to be done preferably with the car outside so I'm still waiting for the weather to improve. This includes testing the overdrive as well as the fuel tank and fuel lines. While I'm waiting I have been installing carpet snaps and cleaning up and repairing the capping etc and getting it ready to back out of the garage and into the driveway. The seats have not yet been rebuilt, they have rusted bases, rusted and broken springs, non existent padding and the wrong seat covers but it was still nice to sit in the car after 4 years of work.

I was surprised that even with the seat fully forward my (slippered) feet only just reach the pedals. The gearstick is actually under the dashboard so as well as long legs you need long arms. You also need to be skinny because even with the worn out seat there is not much room between the seat and the steering wheel.

I am vertically challenged at 5' 6" but with shoes on will just be ok without having to make any mods to the seat or pedals. Any shorter though and I would be in trouble.

DSC_0001_zpsv1vtkesd.jpg

I'm 6' 6", Stan, and that legroom you speak of is one of the best things about my TR. We modified it a bit to get more rearward adjustment during the rebuild, so now I have greater ability to get my legs out straight in the little Triumph than any other car I own.

You're car's lookin' good. The Powder Blue boys will soon chime in, I'm sure!

BTW, you've got a lotta switches on your dashboard. How about a guided tour sometime?

Don, the dashboard is standard TR3A with overdrive switch added since this car was not built with OD originally. The only extra switches are these three

IMAG0364_zpsktv4eevn.jpg

W is for the windshield washer. This is an old Starter switch (thanks Stuart for the idea) that is controlling this Lucas pump

IMAG0367_zpsdsoddusy.jpg

The F and S switches will control a Fog lamp and a Spot lamp.

The only other mod is a power outlet (1x12v and 2x 5v USB) under the dashboard.

IMAG0368_zpsqcsyz3bm.jpg

Thanks, Stan. It sorta looked like there were three switches off to the left, not just the two normal ones.

You're running negative ground, of course, yes?

Have you hooked up the fog/spot lights yet? I'd be interested to hear how you wired them -- power source, relays, etc. I have a similar project on my car over the coming months.

You're running negative ground, of course, yes?

Well.. the car is still +ve ground. I have fuses in both leads going to that outlet and everything that I plan to plug into it has plastic cases but I realize there is a risk with this scheme..

I have not run the wiring yet for the aux lamps but I will probably put Bosch relays in sockets up front out of sight on the inner fender under the apron and run power direct from the battery. Smaller gauge wire between the switches and the relays. I'll run the extra wiring though a vintage looking cloth sleeve as sold on eBay.

Have you been following the ongoing discussion at the team.net Triumphs list on power outlets? There have been some dramatic stories of folks who tried to maintain separate circuits in positive-ground cars. It appears to bring considerable practical risk.

I like your thinking regarding the harness and relays. I'll let you keep the lead on this one, and steal shamelessly.

Have you been following the ongoing discussion at the team.net Triumphs list on power outlets? There have been some dramatic stories of folks who tried to maintain separate circuits in positive-ground cars. It appears to bring considerable practical risk.

I like your thinking regarding the harness and relays. I'll let you keep the lead on this one, and steal shamelessly.

Yes, I followed that discussion with interest. I'm not married to this socket idea and I will do some testing with our phones and GPS units and If this is not viable I'll remove it. I can always fall back on the jump start devices we were discussing in that other thread. Even on cross country trips we dont normally drive more than 6 hours a day so that battery should keep mobile devices charged.

Stan

Just switch to -ve earth, gets rid of all these problems, & is easy to do.

Bob.

I may go down that path eventually but the pos ground, starting handle, non-synchro first, the generator and silly cooling fan were all part of the charm of a TR3 for me and I have resisted the temptation to change them until I have at least had a chance to have the full TR3 experience for a while.

Stan

First of the powder blue guys checking in!

The car looks awesome! I experienced the same things you described: narrow 'slot' between the seat cushion and the lowest part of the s/wheel. The internals of my seat cushion is not the spring-type. I had mine 'upgraded' to modern day memory foam. That made adjustment easy: I simple pulled of the lining and cut off 1.5" on the underside of the foam, that lowered the complete cushion.

I had also the same experience with the gear lever. And I can tell you, with the keys in the ignition, it gets worse: brushing the back of your hand to the underside of the dash and or the key fob. After I'd noticed this (for me!) irritating ergonomical flaw, I took the lever out, heated it and bent it backwards, like the TR4 lever! Now it sits a little lower, but more towards me.

I'm exactly 6' and I find the legroom of the TR superb! Like Don said: one of the best things of the TR. I can not think of another smallish car with the same legroom. In a modern day sports car, only the Lotus Elise comes close.

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

I am similarly vertically challenged (in fact even more so as age shrinks me) and have the seat fully forward. Even so, on long journeys I sometimes get sloppy about fully depressing the clutch pedal but the gearbox audible complaint soon reminds me to stretch my left leg. The proximity of the steering column will worry you when you first drive it!

Sadly i am only 4' 19" with legs of even length, which means making it impossible to get a comfortable reach to clutch, throttle and steering wheel all at the same time!

However, i do have long arms, so have no problem scraping my hand on the dash underside when changing gear!