15" CP steering wheel fitted and out for a blast......

Had a great blast in the TR6 this afternoon, but can now see why ST changed from 15" to 14.5" steering wheel and why the first owner fitted a 14" Moto-lita in 1970; it's a thigh brusher :mellow:..........................so may have to change back, we'll see?

Plenty of classics on the road, but the only other Triumph I saw was another TR6, in Damson heading towards Odiham - well, it looked Damson through my sunglasses! B) Was it you?

TuRK's turn tomorrow!

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Wasn't March about when 'the book' was being published....haven't heard anything, wondered if you have...

Jim

Hi Jim,

The last time I spoke with David Knowles it was to be published in the Spring, not sure what part so will drop him an email.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, I faced a similar problem when fitting an original wheel to my 4A where I had a 14 inch Moto Lita since the rebuild. When I put the car together I set the steering column length to give maximum reach in the car. With the original wheel fitted it was a thigh brusher when operating the clutch so I lengthened the column by 3 inches or so which eliminates the thigh brush and means I can recline the seat a bit to get steering reach right. Do you have any leeway to bring the wheel towards you?

Edited by peejay4A

.................. Do you have any leeway to bring the wheel towards you?

No Pete, it's pretty far out and any further I'd be sitting on the back shelf............in fact, I plan on adjusting back in about 1/2 - 1", although no need with the Moto-lita.

Although a 72 CP VUX had a CR's 14.5" and it was perfect for feel and comfort - I wouldn't have believed that just 1/2" would make such a difference.

A few photos to illustrate:

Saffy's 14" Moto-lita - been there since 1970, and now I know why!

1235223_10202162853768022_20769551700332

The 15" thigh brusher fitted...............

1604873_10203184446147193_83881319290194

VUX's CR 14.5" - perfect! (starting to miss that car!)

644419_3874977828126_1581616275_n.jpg?oh

Cheers

Andrew

Got it, looks like yours is set where mine is now. You must have bigger thighs than me although I can now get in and out with Croc wellies on.

Afterthought: the 4A wheel is dished a bit too.

Edited by peejay4A