Hi Nick,

what is wrong with your old one.

My one suffered from worn lock positions so it would not stay in the 'pulled out' position (it would appear everybody uses a peg to hold it out.)

The internal brass toothed rod can be filed to put an edge back on the teeth. Or even a new rod made from 6mm brass.

There is a ridge running along the back to stop it over rotating.

New cables are expensive - apprx £70. Do not throw your old cable away - you never know when you will be inspired to repair it.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

+1 Also if the inner or outer cables are knackerd, then it is not difficult to graft new cable into the old fittings. Much better than fitting a modern type choke cable which always looks wrong.

Bob.

Roger / Bob

Thanks for info'....yes they are expensive!

The previous owner had shortened the inner cable so that it only just reached the trunnion and the when I pulled the choke knob recently, the cable came out of the trunnion.......all frayed and I can't thread the cable back through a) because it's a little too short and B) coz it's frayed

So I thought I'd get a new one.....ouch!!

Bob, haven't a clue how you graft a new inner cable on........is it straightforward?

Nick

Hi Nick,

pop along to your local Bike shop and get a brake cable that is longer than required.

The end will be welded so will not fray.

Cut the cable to length.

Disassemble the choke cable - remove black spring clip, catch the 1/2 moon ratchet, pull out the cable.

The cable is soldered into the brass locking rod. Remove the cable and remove the solder.

This will expose a small hole where solder will flow through.

The bike cable should fit into the brass rod. The cable may also be stainless steel :o but don;t panic the solder will bond around the multi strand stucture and grip it.

Insert cable and solder.

Re-assemble.

Roger

Hi Roger

Nearly dismantled !

For us dunces, can you explain how to "remove cable and solder"

Does that mean apply a small drill to remove....?

See attached image

Nick

post-6828-0-82160900-1425581893_thumb.jpg

Hi Nick,

I think the cable is done for :o

Using a simple gas blow lamp heat the end were the cable is and using pliers pull out the broken bits. A coating of flux may help the heating process.the liquid solder.

Having removed the wire reheat the end and when the solder is starting to flow give the brass rod a flick to expel - be careful of flying solder.

You may well find the hole on top opens up.

Have you got a pic of the teeth on the other side. if they looked rounded give them a touch with a file.

Roger

Morning Guys

Well, after plenty of heat and wriggling at frayed ends, their doesn't appear to be any solder !

Think I may have a slightly different fitting as there is no 1/8 hole to be seen

Looks to me like a "pressed fitting" to secure the cable

See thumbnail for close up

Any ideas?

Hi Nick,

yes indeed you have the swagged end fitting.

You could drill/grind away the depressions and pull the cable out.

Fit new bike cable and introduce your own swage dimples. That solves th eproblme of soldering Stainless steel.

The bike cables have a swagged end a weld end. The welded end goes to the carbs. Cut cable to length.

Roger

• 7 months later...

Hi Alan,

if the bike shop can't help then more info needed.

Usually the outer casing is a spiral of metal. Has it been crushed or simply broken - a picture would help.

If crushed then you need to re-crush it at 90'.to get it roughly back to shape. Then insert a thick wire, to use as a former, and gently hammer it back to shape.

if it is broken then it could be scrap.

Roger

Thanks folks,

Friend of mine (not me, honest) managed to short it out on the solenoid. Must have been red hot as inner unravelled and then broke when being removed. Outer has been distorted in a couple of places. I've straightened the outer but it looks a bit unsightly although the new inner slides fine. Probably not worth the risk of un-swaging the outer from the alloy tube of the end fitting and then finding there is not enough alloy tube left to re-swage it. Bearing in mind what these things cost.

Alan.

Hi Alan,

if, as you say it is working, then leave it alone.

You are right about the outer/body swaging - don't go there.

So as to make my old outer cable look a little neater I covered it in black heat shrink sleeving. I also stops it shorting out.

Roger