What have I done to my brakes?

Good morning everyone.

I think I know what I've done wrong but thought I would post a request for help just to be sure. I have just finished replacing the brake pipes and flexible hoses (front and rear) on my 1973 CR TR6 which has taken a while but looks much improved. I got to bleeding the system yesterday which is where the problems started.

As per the manual's instructions to bleed the system I started at the passenger rear wheel cylinder first. I was unable to bleed any fluid through so as I had drained the system I started at the front wheels which both allowed me to bleed fluid through without problems. Unfortunately still nothing coming through at the rear wheel cylinders.

From looking back carefully through what I have done I believe I may have identified the route cause. The brake pipe running from the front of the master cylinder (nearest the front grille) should I believe connect to the three way connector on the chassis to supply the front brakes. The pipe at the rear of the master cylinder (nearest the brake servo) should I believe connect to the in line connector for the rear brakes. I have unfortunately connected them the wrong way around i.e. the pipe at the rear of the master cylinder (nearest the servo) now connects to the three way connector and the pipe at the front of the master cylinder (nearest the front grille) connects the rear brakes. Essentially I think I have fitted them around the wrong way.

Can someone with a little more technical understanding advise me if this is the cause of my problems and more to the point why? Should this be the problem and i suspect it probably is I will have to replace the pipes and start again.

I hope this makes sense and thank you for reading my post and offering assistance. I feel a bit of an idiot to be honest but there we are :unsure:.

Best Regards, Peter

I always thought the larger capacity m.c reservoir - the rear one - supplied the front brakes. But the Moss diagram suggests not.

Ah well...false memory syndrome....

Peter

Thanks for the replies everyone, can I establish if I have plumbed the piping from the master cylinder to the front and rear brakes correctly or incorrectly based upon my earlier description? If the plumbing is correct there must be another reason why I am unable to get fluid to the rear brakes.

Thanks, Peter

Thanks for the replies everyone, can I establish if I have plumbed the piping from the master cylinder to the front and rear brakes correctly or incorrectly based upon my earlier description? If the plumbing is correct there must be another reason why I am unable to get fluid to the rear brakes.

Thanks, Peter

peter, With rear brakes fed by front chamber of m/c, keep bleeding. But ensure the front chamber never runs low. It is not fed from the bigger chamber, you have to add fluid directly to it.

Peter

You need to bleed the drivers rear brakes first as that's the longest run, then the passenger side rear , then driver side front then passenger side front.

Hi Peter just a thought, have you actually got any brake fluid in the front section of the reservoir? As a 19 year old with my newly purchased TR6 ( a very long time ago ) I bled the brakes without realising there was a very small part at the front of the reservoir that is sectioned off. As I say just a thought. Topoff

Does your car by any chance have the PDWA valve and switch used on LHD cars?

PDWA Valve & Switch

Hi Everyone,

OK time for me to confess to being a total idiot. I hadn't realised that the front section of the MC resevoir (rear brakes) required filling seperately from the main resevoir. I have to admit I have been used to working on an MGC prior to the TR6 which of course didn't have dual circuit brakes. Interestingly though the brown bible makes no reference to filling the reservoir(s)although I suspect they assume a certain level of competency.

I will fill the resevoir and have another go at the weekend. Interestingly I found this article published by Buckeye Triumph which explains the resevoir and the correct pipe connections. I'm pleased to see that at least I got that bit right.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Theory/Theory.htm

Thanks again for everyone's time and advice.

Best Regards, Peter