We wonder if anyone can help with the following problem.

We are recommissioning after a 7year lay up, a TR6 pi and, having replaced the fuel tank and filter, pressure relief valve, installed a Bosch fuel pump and blown through the fuel lines, the car starts but after ten minutes idling, it then stalls.

Just prior to the car stalling the fuel pipe from the fuel pump, resonates.

Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

There are several previous posts where the cure for that resonancee was as simple as changing a hose. Try searching. But I dont recall the resonance causing the engine to stall.

Howerever there was a strange severe stumble at precisely 2100 rpm over a narrow rpm range that was - eventually - traced to a tired/softened rubber presssure hose connected to the MU. So I suppose it could be possible for a resonance in another hose to cause fuelling to fail.

I think, not sure, a Revington hose cured the resonant noise from the hose in the boot. Someone will be along who knows for sure.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

If it is starting again directly after stalling I would think that the fuel is being restricted somehow,possibly, as Peter says, a perished pipe collapsing momentarily. The "replaced" tank ,is that a new tank or the old one refitted? is it vented?,before it stalls is the pump working harder/struggling?

Thanks Peter & Clive :)

I will renew the pipe leading from the petrol tank to the fuel filter and see if this does the trick. Everything else is new so there isn't a lot else I can think of in this area.

I'll let you know if this is successful!

When its running and after its stalled as long as the ignoition is on there should be petrol going back to the tank from the MU, pipe needs to be clear and you should be able to see the return back to the tank. If not its down to a not getting enough petrol, benefit of this check is you can do the second bit when car has stalled before you switch off ignition, easily done will only take a couple of minutes

It re-starts easily immediatley after stalling --- could that indicate it has not flooded over-rich? so it stalled due to fuel lack or too lean.

Does the choke help recover it on the point of stall?

As Neil says the prv might be dumping too much pressure. It is adjustable, but to do that its better to be able to measure the pressure.

I would also check the spark timing is right.

Does it run OK on the road? Is it just a tickover issue?

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for your comments. the prv is brand new from the TR shop, so I hope it's been set correctly. Will look into your other suggestions and let you know.

We've only had it idling on the drive at this stage as it is not road legal.

Chris

Just a thought...is the battery really good? The alternator might not keep up with fuel pump current draw at tickover, so voltage drops over ten mins until pump fails to pump up to pressure.

Peter

Hi Clive, yes, it does

You say, it starts well after having stalled. And then, does it again stall after another 10 minutes??

Do you touch the foot brake after 10 minutes?

Wilfried

When it stalls, be ready to open the fuel filler, and listen for a little hiss, like when you open a new jar of jam.

The tank vent may be blocked (Seven years under wraps, was it?) and as the tank empties, the pressure falls until the Bosch, which is a fantastic blower but a poor sucker cannot get any more fuel.

JOhn

Puzzling. I cant see why a faulty prv would allow it to run for ten minutes, I'd expect it to fail to start.

If you restart it immediately after stalling does it tickover for another ten minutes? If so, that suggests to me something is accumulating with time ticking over. That fault then dissipates in a brief period taken to restart. A brief recovery period suggest something small. So try cleaning and re-gapping the points. And a swap of condenser. New points need a good emory papering to remove the protective varnish ( or they used to...).

Just a guess, but easy to do.

Peter

The answer as I did not get a reply :rolleyes: may lie in the linkage and throttle bodies out of sync.

Neil, So.........the butterflies slowly go out of true, and operating the throttle upon the restart resets the butterflies.

Yes, like it.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Chris,

I have not seen your reply on the question, if this stalling is only an issue on tickover, or if it also stalls if you run the car?

Also: on tickover it stalls after 10 minutes. When you start it again, will it again stall after 10 minutes?

Wilfried

Thanks Peter.

Electronic ignition is installed. I'm still convinced it's fuel related because of the pump getting hot and making noises. I've spoken to the firm who recondition the PRV's and supply the TR shop and as they are only a few miles from me, I'm going to take it to them for them to test.

Will let you know the outcome!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...