PI Fast Idle Cam

I am currently rebuilding the throttle linkage, on a 1972 PI TR6 and the fast idle cam is missing. It is part of a full nut and bolt restoration, and it explaines why it would not idle when cold.

All the major suppliers do not have one. Does anyone have a decent pic or a drawing so I can make one.

Many Thanks

The problem without the fast idle cam is that it would not idle until warm so stopping at junctions or rounderbouts was a problem.

I am really eager to get a new one as mine is missing altogether.

I can make one, if anyone can give me some rough dimensions to start with.

Hopefully Neil will discover the elusive cam within the depths of his garage in due course. If it's anything like mine I always seem to struggle to find things even with frquent tidying and clear-outs!

I have recently fitted a replacement under-slung throttle linkage kit to my CR series TR6 provided by Malcolm at Prestige Injection Services. This kit includes the fast idle cam for the choke and is pretty simple to set up. The only comment I would make is that you will need to fit a CP throttle cable which is shorter than the CR. The mechanism works extremely well providing individual adjustment for each throttle body as well as achieving full opening of all of the butterflys at maximum depression of the accellerator. This was part of a complete overhaul of the injection system on my car from front to back but that's another story!

Just an alternative suggestion and view which hopefully may be of interest and help to other TR owners.

Best Regards, Peter

Whenever I have a garage tidy up, I think I have put parts in logical places, that I can find easily. However when the time comes and I need a part, it usually takes a few hours of constant swearing as someone must have been in the Garage and moved them.

Anyway, I hope Neil digs it out

Regards

Laurie

During discussion you might want to do some homework:

Measure distance between axle and lever, I expect 35mm,

if not, modify diametre according to my guide.

Take a 2.5 to 3mm mild steel plate, punch the centre and make a circle with 70mm.

Cut that circle out with a grinder where the full smooth outside surface is not required at this stage.

Mark a punch 10mm away from the centre and drill a hole that fits to the axle.

Put it on the axle and turn it till it fits. When you rotate it will meet the lever somewhere

at a point and begin to lift it. Mark that point with an edding.

5mm before and 40mm after that is your cam.

Smooth the surcface in that area without taking off too much material.

Drill an appropriate hole to fit the cable by testmount and pulling the cable into position.

Cut off all the not required material to make the cam a nice look

.... and that's it. Should be done within one hour.

Good luck!!!!