tank swap is the right one?

After a leaking tank swap for a second one rescued from UK, and when finnaly connecting the new hoses.....I have one more than the available connections (should have checked before)

No way to go for a blast tomorow.

I think that new old tank is for carburetor model with no return pipe from mt unit,

The issue is, can I leave this return pipe open and direct it to the lucas pump overflow hose?

Any other sugestion?

Meant time I'll have the original one repaired..

Thank you

You should have 2 inlets at top of tank, one for surplus fuel from Prv which has some pressure and one return from MU which is usually a dribble, ie not much pressure. I don't think you can feed this back to the pump. You may be able to T the one from the PRV and feed the MU return there but I don't know if this would work as the Prv has a lot more pressure.

Think what I did - in 1990 - so not necessarily advocating this, sounds a bit rough now - as I had a whole carburettor car and was converting to Lucas PI - was to remove the sender unit from the top, drill a hole in the plate that hangs off, then as the return pipe is brake pipe, use brake pipe fittings to go in through that. Think I put a male fitting through hole from underneath, nut and sealer on top - or I may have seal welded it.... (SENDER UNIT WAS OFF TANK).. then put a single flared bit of pipe through the fitting, and put a female fitting on the pipe from the MU and double flared the end of that.

Edited by HarveyCoppock

Lucas changed the T off section because it caused cold starting problems and re-configured the plumbing to MK11 set up. I have converted the return in the past the same as Harvey and it works.

My latest Tr5 which had been off the road well before 1984 I got a guy to weld in a boss which converted back to MK11.

Regards harry TR5 Nutter

It has being a real ordeal...

What started to be a erratic running at low revs, has turn into a fuel supply full check

1-Electrics, timings, etc check

2-Tank cleanning and them tank leak (leave as it is don't mess too much

3-Tank swap, not the right one

5-Fuel lines 70 % replacement

6-Lucas FP and prv check but unrealiable fuel pressure measuring home made kit.... and its 2 months since last blast

So tomorrow out for a blast and check improvements or MU packing to UK...

Keep updated